Recommend Good Travel Insurance

wigwam

Can anybody recommend a good value company for travel insurance for a single trip for a family to Europe?

I have a VHI policy for the parents but not for the children. Thanks

I recently used [broken link removed] for my daughter, but she was covered by our AVIVA plan so enjoyed a lower premium (3 weeks in Europe).
You can pay a lower premium by choosing our HealthCover+ cover option, but ONLY if you have Private Medical Insurance covering Emergency Medical Expenses abroad.

having made a claim on holiday insurance for the first time... I will never have it again... whilst in europe..

My wifes handbag got stole on our family evening out.

Inside it was her make up, her apple iphone and her holday camera and some cash.. I had put my iphone in it, and was looking after it..;-(

we filed the report did all we were ment to produce recipts for everything...

you can only claim for up to €300 i believe they said after you pay the first €50... and you can only claim for 1 item like phone or camera... we did get something for the makeup but they need every recipt....

so ive been paying #75 a year for yearly insurance the last 10 years and thats what i got.. we had a computer with us i thought was covered.

my advice is cover the items on your home policy for out of house.

only bother with insurance if your worried you will need to be flown home... which your prob more chance of winning the lotto...

I took out the VHI top-up for €49 per year. The benefits seem to be more than adequate. Having made a number of claims on travel insurance over the years - from lost luggage, stolen items, medical treatments etc - I will highly recommend having it. When you really need it you will be glad.

If going with some of the other online providers, check who their underwriters are and make sure they are a known company, accredited etc.

Before my VHI policy I used to use Goinsure and get the top level policy. This covered me in all countries (including US and Canada), had no excess for claims and increased liability and health coverage. I also found them pretty OK to deal with. Paying that little extra for no excess can pay itself back in the event of even one claim.

Bluemac - Sorry to hear your troubles in claiming, but unfortunately when you accept the T&Cs of the policy this is all laid out in it. I think it's silly not having insurance if going away. You really never kknow what is going to happen. It's not just the cost of flying home though. I had to have emergency antibiotics from a coral infection while in Australia and they were expensive, plus the cost of having cameras down your nose and throat in a reputable Asian hospital is not comparable to the living costs of being in that country. Other bemefits protect your family - if you are ill a relative will be flown out to you in many cases, and is it fair that you are stuck in a foreign country, possibly serious injury/illness, while your loved ones have no communication?

Found Ace insurance really good.

Me too. Been with ACE insurance for yrs, very good. text you your policy number etc. T&C's are clear as a bell and when I had a claim, not a problem at all.

I'm with Allianz, but i guess you only find out how "good" they are, when you have to file a claim.

Travel Insurance

I priced loads this year and found multitrip.com the cheapest!! And that was for a single trip to Europe, not multi or annual.

Back