Recommend day trips from Dublin using free travel pass

mtk

hi ,
I hope this is the right forum .
Now I have my free travel PSC I am wondering if posters can recommend any day trips from Dublin ( hueston or busarus I guess) to see towns around Ireland.
I will likely be travelling alone which I am fine with.
I would like maybe 1 day a week to do a day trip with lunch in the town followed by exploring and take a train/bus back late that evening. I have no mobility issues thank god
Many thanks , Any suggestions welcome.

yes thanks great , never been to kilkenny or sligo . I haven't travelled much in ireland.
Belfast definitely worth seeing again .
Don't forget Connolly and Pearse as starting points.

I always like a day trip to Belfast.
thanks I didn't know there were provincial services from connolly and would be handier than hueston as i am on the dart line

And Galway ! Train leaves you right in the middle of Eyre Square in the Centre of Galway. And just about walkable from there to the lovely promenade in Salt Hill also.

Not quite what you were looking for, but we got a heritage card a few years ago and plan on doing it again. When we'd a free day and were looking for something to do, we'd look at the map. Its very good value, 30 Euro for over 60s or 40 Euro for standard Adult. A lot of sites are not accessible from public transport, but many are. https://www.heritageireland.ie/assets/uploads/2023/07/OPW_HeritageSites2023_Web.pdf

Gives you a reason / interest in visiting somewhere. e.g. Maynooth castle / Castletown house in Celbridge / Kilkenny castle / etc... Many of the sites are free, but for us the fun was taking out the map and finding somewhere new to go.

Another one here for the heritage card, great value or at least it was when we got one back in 14/15
We only used it in the Leinster area but reckon it saved us at least €100 euro by the time we were finished
And another added bonus is it removes the sense of disappointment or lack of value of the entrance fee charged by some of these attractions

With regards to day trips a friend of mine at Christmas time jumps on the Wexford/Waterford train with all his buddies and heads down there for their Christmas lunch, so the south east could be an option for a day trip
Not a day trip but I believe the free pass also works on the Aran island ferry??

Reactions: mtk
Maybe also see if there are any events on around the towns. Limerick junction for horse racing for example, Kilkenny or Thurles for a hurling match.

Reactions: mtk
I would be interested to know of a decent hotel within a 20 minute walk of a train station or bus station that someone has stayed in and recommends.

We used our free travel card to travel on the bus to Dublin Airport from Carlow last week. Just a booking fee and no parking charges at the Airport and hassle free travel.

Back