recommend a small family car

pavlov

We're looking for recommendations for a secondhand small family car. Preferably a hatchback, diesel. Must have 5 star euroncap safety rating and must have isofix fittings for baby seat in the back.

We were interested in the Ford Focus because of the good boot size but have been finding it difficult to get one fitted with isofix as they're not standard on these cars.

Any ideas welcome?

Astra 1.7tdi? ISO fix standard from 04 on...! Light on fuel and easy maintain

Corolla is a very practical car and holds alot of its value,
maybe a saloon almeara. They are a nice steady car.

Thanks for the replies.

Have checked with Ford main dealers and it's possible to get isofix fittings fitted to the focus. So that makes things a bit easier.

I felt the megane was a bit small on boot space compared to the focus.

We'd probably be buying a 2006 model. Not sure that the Corolla has the five star safety rating. RE Almera we've had a problematic one for the last six years and it has turned me off them.

The Astra might be an option...

Thanks again,
P

IMHO, you can't go wrong with a Japanese model. I wouldn't be an expert on the Almera, though yours is the first one I've heard of giving trouble (and that would turn me off also). The Toyota Corolla and Mazda 3 are excellent cars and rarely give trouble. I've driven both and my friends swear by them also. I had a Renault a few years ago and it broke my heart - and my pocket. :( A bit like yourself and the Almera, I reckon.

And there was a time when they had great re sale value. Not sure if that applies to any car anymore! ;)

If you can get the isofix on the Focus, then go for one.
You won't find a better car than a 5 door hatch, focus, 1.6 TDCi. Zetec spec is decent enough.

AGain if you're your heart on the focus then go for it. Remember there are loads of Focus's about...so you should have no problem finding one with great spec...not least in the UK

My heart is kinda set on the Focus...

Which should I go for if they're available- Ghia, or Zetec? There's also a Sport. I have checked it's not a sports suspension. The dealer said it's close to the zetec. Is there somewhere you can check this kind of stuff online?

I'll definitely be buying up the north. Is the spec different for these models up there?

New laguna while a ugly looking is much better screwed together than the old one.

There depriaction makes them look like a pretty good 2nd hand buy, loads of room and plenty of gadgets.

Laguna II could an option.

Back