Reclaimed slates

A

artichoke

We are hoping to use reclaimed bangor blue slates on our new build, sourcing them from one of the slavage yards in NI. What should we look out for when choosing the slates? Thanks.

Thanks for the info, AlastairSC. Just wondering why you put a question mark after each point?!

Because I have some doubts about the completeness/validity of my list and want to leave it open for others to add/correct me?

Thank you for the clarification. Any one able to add to it?

I'd adopt a completely different strategy. You are going to need a good slater to put them on your roof. Ask the slater to assist you in sourcing the slates. If you, as a non-expert, make a bad judgement, the consequences could be very expensive.

Apologies for jumping the thread, but how much are you paying for the blue bangor from the north? Hoping to use the same on my house.

I can't help on what to look for, but FWIW I noticed in the local parish newsletter this week that the slates removed from galnworth church in north cork are being sold in bundles of 500 at I think €1.50 a slate.

I have no idea if that is good bad or indifferent price wise, and have no idea of the quality of them.

Gtec

Baldyman27
So far I have just spoken to Wilson ([broken link removed]) and they have lots of sizes and lots of prices (all around £2 + vat). I will also be trying the salvage yard in Campsie near Derry (can't remember the name) and any other yards I can find out about.

Back