Recession in Norway

Petermack

Just read a very interesting article on http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie where they visit different countries in Europe to see how the recession is affecting them. This weeks country was Norway and 2 very interesting point of note were as follows

But the good news is that Norway has been wise with its oil wealth, unlike the UK, and has invested it well since the first discovery of black gold some 40 years ago. It set up two sovereign wealth funds to hold the oil profits and these are now valued at some €500bn. This plump nest egg will see the 5m Norwegians through as many lost decades as the global economy’s greed and profligacy can throw at them.

And some of the most generous maternity benefits in the world make Norway’s demographics the envy of the ageing world, producing plenty of future workers, carers and tax payers and keeping that endearing sunny smile on the faces of so many of its population, despite its savage winters.

Very prudent of the government to keep the profits of oil tucked away, works out at €100k per head of population.

Does anyone know what these generous maternity benefits are. I cant seem to find any details on the internet.

Yep, read about Norway months back. One of the newspapers was saying something along the lines of "wouldn't it be great to have a government like that". Such sensible planning.

As regards maternity benefits - well I've read that they get free medical treatment during pregnancy, includes all the bells and whistles, having a baby is 100% free there, "If you work more than 6 months of the last 10 before you give birth, the maternity leave is as follows. You will receive 100% of your (last months) salary for 42 weeks - 38 weeks taken by the mother, and 4 weeks taken by the father, or 80% of you salary for 52 weeks - 48 weeks taken by the mother and 4 weeks taken by the father. If the father chooses to stay at work these 4 weeks, the money is "lost". A father is also entitled to get two weeks vacation from work when the baby is born, so that he can help the mother and baby. Some companies - more and more - choose to give the father ordinary salary during these two weeks, encouraging the father to spend time with his family", "If you do not work before having a baby, you are still entitled to an amount of approximately 34.000 NOK (5600 USD). This money will be paid to you after you have passed 6 months of your pregnancy, if you wish - or when the baby is born. Every month until your child is 16 years of age, you will receive an amount of 800 NOK (140 USD) per child you are responsible for - this also includes children that are adopted. When the child is between 1 and 3 this amount is a bit higher - 1500 NOK (250 USD) per month. The government in Norway has now (July 1998) decided to pay a so-called cash payment to all parents that stays at home with their child (only children between 1 and 2 of age) instead of working. A family that decides to have either the mother or the father staying at home with their young children, will receive 3000 NOK per child at home (500 USD) per month."

But the good news is that Norway has been wise with its oil wealth, unlike the UK, and has invested it well since the first discovery of black gold some 40 years ago.

Yes, but it has less than a tenth of the population than the UK meaning its return per head of population is far far greater. Luck has played as much a role in its fortunes as good management. Just look at Scotland, it must curse itself for being part of the UK.

Ah Scotland, the only country that discovered huge oil fields and managed to become poorer

Whatever about putting money aside from the Corrib Oil field, I would love to see the Irish Government issuing a transparent list of all tax paid by individual citizens. In Norway it is posted online every October and available to the public for 3 weeks. It's called the "skatteliste" or tax list.
Norwegians have told me that this list of income and assets helps the courts also as they will then impose fines based on ability to pay.

Makes you want to move there, nearly.
It just makes me want to live there.

Our children get to pay for Anglo.

I wouldn't rate Irish pints as anything special either. Overpriced, bland cat juice.

Whatever about putting money aside from the Corrib Oil field, I would love to see the Irish Government issuing a transparent list of all tax paid by individual citizens. In Norway it is posted online every October and available to the public for 3 weeks. It's called the "skatteliste" or tax list.
Norwegians have told me that this list of income and assets helps the courts also as they will then impose fines based on ability to pay.

Not sure about that - might be very useful for a criminal for instance to have such a handy list.

It just makes me want to live there.

Our children get to pay for Anglo.

I wouldn't rate Irish pints as anything special either. Overpriced, bland cat juice.

Don't drink pints anyway. Don't drink beer at all. Yeuch. Could still go to France and buy wine.

Was watching Oprah ( I know, okay :eek: ) and there was an episode about women in Denmark being the happiest in the world, high taxes but great schools, maternity leave, healthcare, education...The only thing was they all lived in shoe boxes- expensive, beautiful, modernist apts but shoe boxes all the same.

I'm sorry but the Scottish are biggest whingers and BSers around.

They bang on about independence, how much they hate the English etc etc.

Leave the union then.

Oh in the cold light of day you don't actually want to? well shut up then.

For years we have been hearing how the Scandavanian countries are models of how we should all run our own countries.

Iceland used to be one of them.

Are they really as great as we are being told they are? Or are the facts being selected to prove a point? Have they not got very high tax levels that we wouldn't stand for here?

If I remember correctly their tax rate is 37%, I think this is the same for everyone.

Personally, I would be happy if everyone was on the same tax rate (and there were no exemptions) and I would've been happy to pay 37% tax for the entire time i've been contributing if it meant we wouldn't be in this mess now. Then again the cost of living in Norway is apparently very high so if you're paying 37% tax and everything is really expensive it doesn't leave you much better off.

On the plus side though they have very low unemployment levels.

(PS the tax rate I've quoted is from an old article so it may be incorrect)

This website [broken link removed] puts tax at 28% on ordinary income but then it has another category for Maximum marginal tax rates and ordinary income is at 28% but "pay" is 47.8%, not sure what the difference is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back