Recessed ceiling lights keep blowing

deadlyduck

Hi,

We moved into a new house just over 18 months ago and in that time have had to replace approx 10 recessed ceiling lights. Given that the bulbs are costing approx €6 each it's not a happy situation. We don't have these lights on a dimmer but most of the problem occurs in the kitchen where the lights could be on for a number of hours per day.
I've noticed that the dead bulbs typically have a carbon/ ash coating on the 'connection points' (the circular metallic parts that clip into the transformer), suggesting that there is quite a degree of heat being generated between the bulb and the transformer. In these instances, when I insert a new bulb it doesn't work, presumably because the transformer is either blown or impeded by the ash coating.
Is this a common problem? Has anyone had the same problem and found a fix? Are there 'good transformers' and 'bad transformers'? Is there a brand to be recommended?

If possible, I'd like to have information prior to calling the electrician as I want it to be fixed for certain once and for all.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Brian

Back