Rearview Mirror - Question

New Home

The other day I knocked (slightly, I must stress) the rearview mirror in my car - the one on the inside - which promptly fell off. According to the "owner's manual" the mirror is designed to fall off in case of impact as a safety feature - I'd have thought that an elbow would not have the same effect as a car crash, but I obviously stand corrected. I've tried to stick it back up with the "Locktite Rearview Mirror and Aerial Bonder" which I got in a filling station, but that worked less than if I'd used bluetack... I've gone to one of those Motor Factor shops but they only had permanent glue. Now, here's my question: is there an adhesive on the market that would work a bit like the original one (i.e. that would make the mirror drop in case of impact), or would I have to replace the whole thing? I phoned the dealership but they couldn't tell me. Thanks.

You should go to your local Windscreen Replacement centre. They're used to resticking rear view mirrors. They should be able to help.

Thanks very much for that Lorraine B, that's a brilliant idea - That makes sense: not only can a rearviewmirror be stuck to a windscreen, but a windscreen can be stuck to a rearview mirror too! oD

Back