Rearing a Pig for freezer

N

NoviceDIY'er

Thinking getting some pigs to rear for freezer (2 as i know they like company). Wondering what I need to do in order to rear a pig in my back garden (living in the country and have quiet a bit of space). Remember my parents doing this years ago and meat was fabulous and lasting nearly all winter in the freezer.

Need to know
- are they difficult to keep?
- what exactly would i feed them and do i need to be there everyday?
- how long before they are ready to kill?
- do they also need indoor accomodation?
- where would i get one (living in Co Cork)?, best type etc

Have done loads of potatoes, veg, fruit bushes in the past few years. Have planted apple, plum, pear trees this year also and am interested in getting some pigs or maybe a few lambs (or a few chickens)

hi there,
its very easy to do,first get a pig herd no from department of agriculture,secure fencing around area you will keep them,a shelter of some sort to keep them dry and warm when they sleep,water and food,rolled barley and soya bean +all household waste will do can be got in agri suppliers,would recommend rare breed as they taste fantastic .saddleback ,old spot ,tamworth etc,weaners are about 6-8 weeks when you get them and you will have them for approx 6 months before slaughter.send me a PM if you want and i can run things through with you as i did all this last year and have numbers of suppliers in cork

How you doing. came across this thread and am also very interested in keeping pigs. Can you post up some details of what I need to get started - i have a good size area which I can use

Cheers for that information. do you know if you can just go straight in and keep pigs for your own use or do you need to a herd number from the dept of agriculture. Was told you do but not sure.

How would you kill them when they are ready ? I love pork but If I had some pigs I'd be worried about cruelty

Yes - you do need a herd number - you have to have fencing, water and shelter in place first. Dept vet will then come out and inspect and issue number - eay enough.

Go to your local butcher and ask them where could you get the pigs butchered. I would not give the pigs names etc as it might make it harder to give them the chop when the time comes !!

i assume you do not have kids... if they become pets for them, then forget the bbq

How would you kill them when they are ready ? I love pork but If I had some pigs I'd be worried about cruelty

Animal welfare standards in Ireland are relatively high - even for intensively raised meat such as pork. However, it is almost certainly the case that by raising your own pork, you will be making a significant improvement to animal welfare - if you do it anyway properly, your pigs will undoubtedly have a better life than their more industrially-raised kinfolk.

However, it is almost certainly the case that by raising your own pork, you will be making a significant improvement to animal welfare - if you do it anyway properly, your pigs will undoubtedly have a better life than their more industrially-raised kinfolk.

I totally agree. Apart from chicken, pigs are the most intensively reared animals and really have an awful life. I'd say pigs reared the old fashioned way would have a much better life and you could enjoy your rashers guilt-free.

Hi All,
Just came across this thread and thought i would throw in my tupence worth. I am the guy who writes the barrowsbounty blog mentioned above.
Feel free to ask any questions you have on keeping pigs. I have been keeping them for a few years along with trying to grow all our own veg. We have some chickens too and eat wild meat whenever we get the chance.
To answer some of the questions above. you do need a pig herd number from the dept but it isnt difficult to get.
On how long before you kill a pig. well it depends but we leave ours untill maybe 7 months which is over double what a commercial farmer would do.
Any other questions feel free to ask.
Liam

Hi Liam,
Quick question for you. I see its straightforward to get the pig herd no. but will they expect to see evidence of who you get the animals slaughtered by? I know people who can slaughter pigs properly but does the inspector that issues herd numbers expect to see evidence of you having slaughtered them through certain slaughter houses?
Regards, Philip

Hi Philip,
What will happen is that you get a pig herd number and you will get a pad of forms. Each time you buy, sell or kill a pig the form will be filled in. You inform the dept by phone and then the slaughter house will fill in the form and send it off. It is very straight forward to be honest. There is one big flaw mind you. The system is ment to keep tabs on how many pigs you have and their movements. However if you have a male and female pig and they do the bold thing noone knows how many if any piglets you have. Now in the case of foot and mouth or something like that it would be next to impossible to fiure out how many pigs there are in any given farm.

cant you buy fully grown pigs directly from farmers ?... pay for the pig bring it to the butcher let him kill it and cut it.... no worries on pigs becomming pets then

You can of course. But you can also just go to the supermarket and buy really cheap pork that comes in nice plastic trays. The reason I keep pigs is that I can produce a pork which just isnt available commercially. From both a taste and welfare standpoint. Our pigs live out free ranging all their lives. They eat a varied and mainly fresh diet and taste fantasitc after being hung for a week.
I reckon give it a go and keep a few pigs, or even chickens for the table. You will learn a lot and have great fun with them. And if it is a thing that you cant kill them and eat them then you have to ask yourself should you be eating meat at all.
These pigs you keep will probably live for 7 months as oppossed to 3 or so in a commercial unit. they will have had the sun on their backs their whole lives. Have had excercise and been allowed to practise their natural instincts such as rooting etc. I admit I feel bad bringing the pigs away every year but at least I know I gave them the best possible life I could and that I will enjoy and respect the meat that comes from them all the more because of it.
I have some pics here on the blog of the pigs and where they live on the blog if you want to have a look. Just google barrowsbounty and click on the pig section on the right hand side.
The blog is only a hobby and I dont sell anything. I hope its ok to mention to it from here? If the mods think otherwise please feel free to remove it.
Cheers
Liam

Pinchy...LOL....lol...good one..

anyway, is it possible to buy free range pigs ???... that would have beed reared for 7 months or so ?

Back