Re-lining a chimney

HMC

My mother needs her chimney re-lined, apparently. There are holes in the sides following a fire many years ago. She has had a man to the house (recommended by local hardware shop and he is in yellow pages, with some guild accreditation). She asked him for a quote but he said "the insurance will take of that". I have recommended her to ask him again for a written quote before proceeding. Does anyone know what such a job should cost? Shoud it come with a guarantee? It should take 1.5hrs. My mother lives in South County Dublin so recommendations would also be welcome. I think she should get one or two other quotes. Thanks for any advice.

She asked him for a quote but he said "the insurance will take of that".
Get a full detailed quote. The very same scenario played out with my own parents. They said exactly the same thing as what you've stated above.

They were less than happy with the way the job was done. However, they didn't know the extent of it until much later - when they found that the complete chimney had not been relined!

Cost depends on chimney stack layout, number of stories etc. as a guide €2500 plus vat will be in the ballpark for a stainless steel flexi liner. Redecoration of rooms ontop if you need the breast opened to remove any blockages.

Insurance company will only cover the cost if you can prove it occured as a result of a chimney fire within the period of insurance

Insurance company will only cover the cost if you can prove it occured as a result of a chimney fire within the period of insurance

I had to prove exactly this for my own insurance company. And it was really difficult to get them to pay out and it did not cover the full cost.

I had to prove exactly this for my own insurance company. And it was really difficult to get them to pay out and it did not cover the full cost.

A cctv survey is your only way to go on this. If they confirm cover in any way on this issue they should cover the entire cost less excess. There is no option on part cover in insurance, they cover or they dont...

as a guide €2500 plus vat will be in the ballpark for a stainless steel flexi liner.

Material cost for a 9mtr length of solid fuel flexi flue 150mm, clamp plate and cowl for the top and an adaptor from flexi to cast pipe would cost approx €500 vat included,so there must still be overcharging for labour going on.

Material cost for a 9mtr length of solid fuel flexi flue 150mm, clamp plate and cowl for the top and an adaptor from flexi to cast pipe would cost approx €500 vat included,so there must still be overcharging for labour going on.

I dont disagree but getting someone to come to a property with propper insurance, access equipment etc for that type of work is generally above reasoning

We had our chimneys (2) relined a couple of years ago with a lightweight concrete at a cost of about £2000. No problems to date.

Thanks for your replies. The chimney expert has filmed inside chimney breast and issued his quotation: E3,600 plus VAT! My mother can barely speak.

Back