RCI timeshare Spain. Cant pay fees, want to Surrender. UK or RoI juristiction?

Nealos

Hello,

this may be a longshot ... but anyway, i'll keep it brief.

My parents bought a timeshare off RCI in Spain a few years back. They got very little use from it but maintained it as it was a contractual agreement etc ...

Anyway, with the membership fees, yearly maintenance and such being as high as it is - they have struggled to keep up payments this year and have fallen behind due to a jobloss. So they want rid of it ...

I got in touch with them last november and informed the company that my parents wanted out - they said they would send out surrender forms - but never did - so i rang again this time it arrived 1 month later! I sent in the form to "Surrender" the scheme for them and sent a nice letter accompanying it. This was in January ... no reply, so a couple of emails etc later and they send out the form again. I completed the form once more and sent it away 1 month ago.

Anyway, this week they got solicitors letter in the door to pay the membership fee thats overdue - no mention of the maintenance fee as of yet. It was from a legal firm in UK demanding payment inside 7 days or legal proceedings will follow.

So, my question is this ... will this be followed through? Considering it was bought in Spain, legal proceedings are from UK and we are in Ireland. How hard will they chase €195 for the yearly fee then ~800 for maintenance? If they cannot pay what will happen?

Also - if i was to bail them out and pay it mysef, what if they demand like 12months payments or something extra and we are in this mess this time next year.

I guess what i am asking is does this type of legal proceedings cross international waters? Are we in trouble here?

Any help appreciated.

A read of[broken link removed] or a call to [broken link removed] might help.

Hope you get it sorted.

While this is now in correct location - anyone have this problem before? Anyone feel the wrath of the solicitors?

Back