Ratoath,Co.Meath

katiealice

Hi,

Hubby & I are thinking of moving closer to Dublin. Does anyone have any views on Ratoath and the developments available in the village, not too bothered whether new or second hand.

Thanks

Hi Katiealice, Mez's post is a bit harsh, but I suppose he is right about the amount of Dublin people living there now. Ratoath has change dramatically since I used to spend the summer hols there back in the 80's(Ahh memories!). I was looking at the Somerville development last year, very large house's and prices were reasonable.

Mez, is this really the case? Ratoath always struck me as a nice village, rapidly growing yes but still nice. Do you live there?

Mez is full of it, I live near enough to Ratoath and have friends and family in the area, he's just typical example of a local in whose craw it sticks that its because of "blow-in" Dubs that there's any decent services or housing available in the area.
By this I don't mean that he's a typical local, as you'll find most to be very friendly, just typical of a type of local that are thankfully in the minority. As if the picture he paints is only confined to Dubliners anyway, before Dubs even heard of Ratoath there were people like this on the streets of Ratoath every weekend night. Although they'd probably be more socially forthcoming than mez and his ilk as while you can't judge a book by its cover you can tell a man by his words.
Ratoath is a decent village with plenty of local shops, pubs, restaurants etc, it is still a decent time to buy because there are changes in infrastructure on the way that will make some of the drawbacks such as getting into/home from Dublin or the traffic mess in the village a thing of the past. Also for some reason new houses in various estates don't get hit for stamp duty for owner occupiers irrespective of size, price or ftb status.

Nice village, great if working in Meath or even in Dublin city centre. Bit of a commute to the southside but if you can work around the 9-5 hours this wouldn't be a problem.

Biggest plus is the new N2 bypass that's opening on 24th May. A direct 2/3 lane road into Dublin. Current journey time is 20 minutes to Finglas which will be greatly reduced with the new road when you won't be stuck behind a lorry or tractor into town. New road near completion is one of the reasons I bought out here last year. Prices have gone up since...by 20% or so by looking at second hand houses on myhome.ie / daft.ie. There's not much on release at the moment. But new phases of some developments should be available soon...I'd say when the bypass opens.

Big creche, new schools planned - secondary school is currently in Fairyhouse racecourse but building of permanent structure has commenced. New primary school opened last Sept in temporary prefab buildings in Mill Tree Park estate. Community centre is opening shortly funded by the auction of a 3-bed semi. Restaurants, supermarkets, shops - Tesco Local - Supervalue, 3 pubs, hairdressers, GAA club etc and a short distance from Ashbourne where theres a nice public library, new town centre and Jackie Skelly gym (gym a bit pricey though compared to the National Aquatic Ctr in Blanch). I don't like the religious momuments in the village though...

And while there may be some comments below about blowins from Dublin...the area seems to be primarily owner occupiers which brings more of a community than if it was a large rental market. Everywhere has Dublin blowins...not just Ratoath.

AKA said:
Everywhere has Dublin blowins...not just Ratoath.

Quite right AKA and Dublin has blowins from everywhere. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this (Mez).

Thanks for all the replies, Hubby & i are going to have a look at the village over the weekend and take it from there.

As for blowins, sure i'm a Laois woman so i'm a blowin no matter where i live in Meath!!

AKA, we aren't really to worried if we buy new or secònd hand, so if we are looking at second hand, what estates would you recommend?

4 bed - semi or detached - either type would interest us.

Thanks

KA

I wouldn't be there long enough to recommend a housing estate.

Older estates won't have a management fee as all the new houses seem to.

The general look and feel of the estate would give you a fair idea and I'm sure you know what you are looking for.

Older houses seem to have more grounds around them...some of the newer estates have 4 bed terraced houses.

Best of luck.

Mezzo,if if was not for all the 'Dublin blow ins' Ratoath would still be
the one horse town it was 10 years ago with nothing in it.Mez do you live in Ratoath ?, In case you havent noticed Ratoath is regarded as part of Dublin now , it is in the Dublin area, regarded as a suburb of Dublin.
It is your Dublin blow ins buying property in Ratoath over the years that has led to an increase in services like buses shops and the new community centre etc and an increase in propert value.
One bad thing i will say about Ratoath is a lack of decent shops and a proper supermarket.Ratoath is made up of one small windy village main street , the council has alot so much developement around this street that there is no room for two major things
1. A Bypass which is badly needed
2.More shops , a proper shopping centre
Example - Ashbourne.

Several posts in this thread by Mez have been unapproved (and are no longer visible to anyone but mods/admins) by me (a moderator).

Please make your points in a civil fashion or find somewhere else to post.

My friend moved from Blanchardstown to Ratoath about 4 years ago and she loves it. The village appears small to me with not a whole lot going on other than a few pubs and a super valu but it will probably extend over time as the population grows.

Please note that anyone selling their house in Ratoath at the moment should not advertise that fact here on AAM.

AKA said:
Older estates won't have a management fee as all the new houses seem to.

Are there now "management fees" for new housing estates ?
Can understand fees for Apt but new houses ?

Furze said:
Are there now "management fees" for new housing estates ?
?

Some estates have fees for management. The management company would be in charge of the upkeep of the communal area, flower gardens, parking etc.

Basically areas that the councils traditoinally looked after and are now shirking in their duty of care.

Back