Rates - working from home?

180girl

Hi Everyone,
I'm afraid to register business name in case I get charged rates. Does anyone have any experience here? My mom was charged about €3k in rates when she registered her home business (holistics). I only use my laptop and the postal service and will be selling small beauty products online and posting them to clients. I expect to be profitable in a few months and can then move to a premises. What do I do? If I don't register business name - I can't get supplies from the bigger suppliers? My home is just a rented room and my flatmate is totally on board with me doing this. (as is my landlord). I don't have €3k to burn on rates - it will stop me before I even get started.
Catch 22!
Thanks all,
180girl.

update: I found a place that does virtual offices where I won't get charged rates - but it's €100plus VAT per mnth. That's still a lot when you're not making it. I really want to hear someone else say they're trading from boot of car like me without issue.. I don't even know who to ask about it (is it council, revenue, or who?)

The value of the rateable area and (and hence the rates) are calculted by the City Valuer (http://www.valoff.ie/) and then forwarded to the respective council who then send you a rates bill.

You could ring the valuations office. I had course to do so last year and found them very friendly and up front.

I got a resolution on this - rang the Valuations office - they said unless I'm using part of my house specifically for the business, then I won't be charged rates. I also contacted a local councillor who rang city hall for me and told me I won't be charged - same reasons. Nothing to worry about thank God - so I can fire ahead now!

I found a place that does virtual offices where I won't get charged rates - but it's €100plus VAT per mnth

Just as an aside in case you are considering using a virtual office in the future, if you only want to use it for a business address, you would be able to get this for a lot less than €100 + VAT per month.

Back