RAS Scheme and Insulation

Tomjim

I am a landlord in Ras, my tenant has announced that she wants the house insulated. My view is that the house was warm enough when I lived in it.

Anyone know what is the council's position on the tenants's request

I am in the scheme for 4 years now and there was no requirement to complete a BER assessment when I was signing up

My understanding was that you needed a BER Cert for all lettings since 01/01/2009 however if you were not asked to provide a BER Cert at the commencement of the tenancy I would doubt that they can ask you for one now unless there is a new lease term being drawn up. A BER cert can be issued for any building as it only grades the "the cost of heating and lighting the house". A Ber Cert will in itself not improve the insulation values of the house. Unless it is poorly insulated the council will be unlikely to get involved. You have to make a judgement call on this yourself. It will depend on the type of house that it is ie Bungalow, Semi detached etc and how the walls are constructed and what needs to be insulated. Will attic only do. If you do it take into account that this is a long term investment in your property and will help when renting it in the future.

Back