Radiator Reflector Panels

andyman

Hi, I just wanted to get peoples opinion on the usefulness of attaching radiator reflector panels to the wall behind the radiator. Is it worthwhile? Various websites I've come across mention that anything from 30 to 70% of heat generated by radiators goes directly into the wall. Doing a google search I have come across two types of radiator reflectors, a sort of foil;

and a more robust looking aluminium-type panel;

http://www.shopeco.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=304

Can anyone recommend a particular type, are they easy to install (does the radiator have to be removed in order to attach the reflector to the wall), and do you know of any suppliers in Ireland?

Thanks,
Andyman

My ol mum and dad have tin foil behind theirs and they swear by it... that might be just them though..... probably some urban myth went around years ago about tin foil being great....

Thanks muffinb. Your parents may have been ahead of their time. I read on another forum of someone improvising reflector panels with tin foil and polystyrene roof tiles!

doesn't tinfoil oxidise quite quickly? If it turns black/brown, theres not much thermal reflection going on - or am I missing the point?

doesn't tinfoil oxidise quite quickly? If it turns black/brown, theres not much thermal reflection going on - or am I missing the point?

It's not actually tin, so it doesn't oxidise.
Leo

I got rools of thin foam back reflective stuff specifically for behind rads in B&Q last year. Seems to through out more heat esp. on rads attached to external walls.

Cheap and easy to apply.

Noob.

Thanks for your input Noobie, did you have to remove your radiators to put the foil on the wall? Also, do they have an adhesive coating on one side?

Andymn

Thanks for your input Noobie, did you have to remove your radiators to put the foil on the wall? Also, do they have an adhesive coating on one side?

Andymn

The Collins DIY Manual shows how to put them on without removing the rad. Measure the rad and cut foil to size. Measure where the brackets are, and make corresponding slits on the foil - place foil in position to test your measurements are correct. Then remove foil, and either put wallpaper paste on the back of it, or put adhesive pads on the back. Place into position, and use a paint roller (the small ones used for painting behind radiators) or a ruler to press adhesive firmly into wall.

Back