Rabodirect, easy to manage money?

paperclip

hi, i'll be traveling next year, and will be borrowing money from the credit union, 15k.

i'd like to have 5k readaly available, split between my current account, and on my credit card.

the other 10k, i'm thinking of putting in a rabbo online savings account.

when needs be, i intend to transfer money from the rabo savings account to my current account.

rabbo's site looks freindly enough, and they give the impression that this is no problem, but thought it would be to get some real world experiences on here first.

so, is it easy enough to transfer money from a rabo online account to an online current account? i'm with ptsb.

is it just a matter of signing in with user names and passwords, and transfering the money online? like an online bank account?

is the money transfered imediatly, or do you have to wait a few days?

ta

Re: Raobdirect, easy to manage money?

In short, no. Not for your case anyway. The reason is that you need this dongle I think its called. It's basically a small electronic device that generates a unique code for each transaction. So seeing as you are travelling, I can't see it being that easy to always have on hand. And if you lose it, I can only see it being a painful process of getting it replaced.

Yeah i'd second that.

The dongle is a bit of a pain. I would worry about losing it or it being damaged (spillages, getting bashed in bag etc) during travelling. Also there is a delay while money transfers over between banks.

When i was travelling I transferred between AIB accounts and found it perfect, money moved instantly and i could see my credit card balance and all.

Is there no way of setting up accounts online with ptsb? it would be a lot less hassle.

While it may be a pain to travel with the dongle, the flip-side is that it is more secure if you are using public computers.

If you're planning to access the interest via web cafes the risk is that they may be infected with spyware and key-loggers. Even if they were infected, they won't be able to access your rabo account without your dongle.

The 'dongle' is called a Digipass and is required to log on and execute all transactions. Relying on simple user name/numbers and static passwords are very vulnerable to 'phishing' attacks and keystroke logging. RaboDirect's customers have not fallen victim to electronic fraud and this is largely due to the level of protection we have implemented. This cannot be said for the banks in Ireland that rely on static passwords and PIN's.

You will find that the other banks will start to adopt this kind of technology and indeed are slowly starting to. In fact, banks in the UK will be adopting common standards of this type of technology. Here is an example of the type of card reader that can be used http://www.vasco.com/products/product.html?product=59

The[broken link removed] that RaboDirect uses is pretty robust and can generally withstand a bashing ...not that we recommend it of course.

Re electronic transfers from RaboDirect. If you transfer your funds before 12.00 on a working day they should hit your destination account the next working day. Occasionally there can be delays in the clearing system but these are not down to us and can sometimes be due to issues with the destination bank.

dongle! hmmm, can anyone recomend a saving account that doesn't require a card reader?

Most of the ones in the Financial Best Buys list don't. In fact Rabo may be the only one that does. Bear in mind however that this arguably (or actually?) makes Rabo's offering inherently more secure.

Hi paperclip, mine is just an opinion but I love them as regards ease of use of the rabo internet banking... To me it's one of the easiest if not even the best.

For one reason: if I have to create a payee with all the other banks I have to contact the customer service. With Rabo I can do everything on-line.

Furthermore, I can easily plan my payments with their standing orders without risking my interests... E.g. standing orders from their savings to c/a and from their c/a to payee on the same planned date for the same amount -> They work perfectly!

What I don't like too much is:
- the fact that sometimes they join this forum just to advertise their product
- their customer service on the phone sometimes seems to know less than me on how to use their internet banking
- the 5% up to 10000 Euro isn't yet approved for 2008 as well...

I hope this helps...

Last edited:

Hi paperclip, mine is just an opinion but I love them as regards ease of use of the rabo internet banking... To me it's one of the easiest if not even the best.

For one reason: if I have to create a payee with all the other banks I have to contact the customer service. With Rabo I can do everything on-line.

Furthermore, I can easily plan my payments with their standing orders without risking my interests... E.g. standing orders from their savings to c/a and from their c/a to payee on the same planned date for the same amount -> They work perfectly!

- their customer service on the phone sometimes seems to know less than me on how to use their internet banking
- the 5% up to 10000 Euro isn't yet approved for 2008 as well...

I hope this helps...

thanks....... hmmm, 5% not approved for 2008..... that would be a deal breaker

Godfather,
We actually try hard to make sure we don't advertise our products. Maybe some people might think our posts are a form of sales pitch but they are genuinely not intended to be. (The cynics out there are laughing at this I'm sure!!). On occasion we sometimes run posts past moderators if we think it could cross the line. To be fair, when you read the vast majority of our posts you will see that we are responding to queries, clarifying issues about our products/security/internet banking/credit ratings etc, apologising when we screw up and sometimes defending ourselves which is our right. Using a forum such as AAM to cynically advertise our products runs contrary to the spirit of discussion forums and in any case, would soon have us banned from AAM and do us no good at all.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the points you mentioned. Regarding our rates for next year - we will announce this before the year end. On the customer service front - we generally get very high satisfaction scores but there's always room to improve. If you have specific issues please PM us so we can address them.

RaboDirect

No need to advertise on the forum when you send out spam emails on a regular basis I guess.

I have been critical of Rabo's unsolicited emails (got them again recently in spite of not signing up to anything), the fact that they sometimes give what looks like a sales pitch here, and the fact that initially I found some things about their account confusing (e.g. the need for a current account when moving money out). However, having said all that, I do find their account easy to operate, secure (and the digipass simple to operate and compact enough) and the deposit returns have been a lot better than from a lot of other institutions for a while now. Hopefully they can retain or improve on the 5% for €10K in 2008.

I have been critical of Rabo's unsolicited emails (got them again recently in spite of not signing up to anything), the fact that they sometimes give what looks like a sales pitch here, and the fact that initially I found some things about their account confusing (e.g. the need for a current account when moving money out). However, having said all that, I do find their account easy to operate, secure (and the digipass simple to operate and compact enough) and the deposit returns have been a lot better than from a lot of other institutions for a while now. Hopefully they can retain or improve on the 5% for €10K in 2008.

sorry if this has been asked already but rabo give the impression you have to have a current a/c with them when opening a savings a/c is this correct? If so are there charges on the current a/c?

Many thanks in advance for any answers,

No. You need their current a/c simply because you can't transfer money directly out of their savings a/c (the one that earns the interest) — you have to first transfer the money from your Rabodirect savings a/c to your Rabodirect current a/c, and thence onwards to your nominated (other) bank account. Bit silly, really.

I seem to remember posting here recently to the effect that they were planning to remove this 'technical' requirement...(?)

On the other hand you can transfer money directly into the savings account and it does not need to go via the current account. The current account is really just a bit of an anomaly in my view and only needed when transferring out. And it IS confusing in my opinion too!

Agreed. We will be phasing out the current account from February 2008. Assuming all goes to plan we will open the Savings Account to external transfers.

We will be phasing out the current account from February 2008.

Great, that is annoying.

Any chance of increasing the €10k limit while you're at it? How about €15k to match First Active.

What would you do if you lose your digithingy and need to do a transaction?

You need to get a new one from Rabo. Last time I asked them (turned out to be a false alarm) they told me that there was no charge for a replacement. Note that the digipass is secured by a PIN so it falling into the wrong hands is not a problem as lon as the PIN is not also obtained.

Back