Quote for Garden slabs..Eek!

Sarah

Living in Athy and got a quote (local) for slabs to be put down in our garden. Nothing fancy and i was quoted a price for the slabs at about €8 a slab. Our garden in 9 x 9 with 4 x 6 bit sticking out...like an upside down "L" if that makes sence. The quote was over €5500!!!! Just wondering if anyone knows if this is a reasonable price. I wasnt expecting it to cost as much and my budget was around €2500. Can anyone advise or if anyone knows anyone who does slabbing that are reasonable it would be great! Thanks!

Sarah, as a matter of interest how long did the person who quoted say this would take ie. how many man days?

Roy

He said it would take him a couple of days...so i presume that ment around 2 or 3days. Like i said our garden is not that big so thinking he may not be exactly reliable in his estimates or quotes!

Hi

I would say thats a little on the high side, going by the price of slabs, then there is sand and cement, time allowed to do the job, at least 1500 over. Get 2 more quotes, always best to get 3, then you can compare, but dont always pick the cheapest, middle man, and based on what they tell you, and the way they present their self, unless referred.

I got a quote to pave a much larger area than that using cobblestone bricks for €4000. That included removing a decking, taking out a concrete path, and doing fancy steps and curves.

That is not a good quote!

I have no idea where he pulled that quote out for all i seen was figures adding up on a page and about €2000 alone for labour!!!Anyone know of anyone or anywhere that would be more reasonable...iv just spoken to another garden centre place again local and he quotes me €4700!!! I really dont know where they are pulling the prices from all i wanted was some nice average 18 x 18 slabs with a smaller border around it maybe!!!

Hi Sarah,
Are those measurements in metres/feet?
I got a front garden paved last summer with roughly the same dimensions (12x7 AFAIR) and I was charged 3k in dublin. He was in and out in 2 days, started early, finished late both days. Top notch work, I noticed one of the slabs was a bit loose about 3 days after, rang him and he came out the following weekend and fixed it. Anyway, even with your extra L bit the price seems to be a little on the high side but I wouldnt have said overly (unless youre getting italian slate??) Have you priced the slabs yourself? Can you order the slabs yourself and ask him for just a price on fitting?
I'll try to dig out the number of the guy for you, have it somewhere at home.

Thanks a mill car...much appriciated. The measurments are in Feet (i think!) And i wasnt going for any expensive slabs just natural stone.Id nearly leave the garden the way it is at this stage but you cant walk on the grass as its too marshy and have tried digging drainage holes but to no avail!Ps anyone know if its better to lay slabs on concrete or sand???

Methods for laying slabs, doesnt look like concrete is the way to go.

Anything at [broken link removed] help in the way of selecting a stone?

Thanks car,had a look at roadstone which is great but although giving me a better idea on the choice of slabs there is it dosent help me with the price quotes to lay the bloody things. Also spoke to the gardner and he says he only lays slabs on concrete to save on weeding! Ah well back to the drawing board!

Hi

Prefer our slabs laid on a concrete raft, then 5 dots, easier to get your levels correct, this way you get a better job, also if you ever wanted to change your slabs in some yrs to come as we do get fed up with same ones, all you need to do is take up the slabs, then replace them, no digging out, it gives you a much stronger job too, I have noticed though its not mentioned, but thats the way my hubby does it, its a little dearer, but longer lasting, dont sink, nor any movement;)

Back