Quitting work

apple

Hi

I'm thinking of quitting my job I've only been there afew weeks but my boss is very un reasonible, they expect me to work 50- 60 hour weeks and for no extra pay. As well as doing my own job I have to help train in a new person as one colluege has quit all ready. it is a family run business and 10 people have left the company in the last 5 yrs.( the workforce is 5 not including 3 family members) here is an example of how un reasonible the company is, all staff members get paid weekly by cheque but yet aren't giving time off work to lodge the cheque and the working hours make it impossble to get to a bank, also if a member of staff loses a cheque and ask the company to cancel and reissue an other one they are deducted €10 euro of the reissued cheque. Are there any reprecussions for me if I just dont go back tomorrow. as there are 2 of us thinking of quitting . thanks for your help

Well the first thing I would say is to start looking around as its easier to get another job while still employed. Get your CV up to date and get it circulated to other companies/agencies.

Once this ball is rolling, have a read through and once armed with that info approach your boss and see what response you get. Also highlight the problem getting money into you bank account, maybe suggesting they set up EFT (electronic fund transfer). Do this in a calm manner with a genuine view to making life more palatable for everyone. Better still if you have two people approach the boss.

if you hit a wall then start making serious efforts to get out (as above though) , your working to live and not living to work!

apple said:
Hi

I'm thinking of quitting my job I've only been there afew weeks but my boss is very un reasonible, they expect me to work 50- 60 hour weeks and for no extra pay. As well as doing my own job I have to help train in a new person as one colluege has quit all ready. it is a family run business and 10 people have left the company in the last 5 yrs.( the workforce is 5 not including 3 family members) here is an example of how un reasonible the company is, all staff members get paid weekly by cheque but yet aren't giving time off work to lodge the cheque and the working hours make it impossble to get to a bank, also if a member of staff loses a cheque and ask the company to cancel and reissue an other one they are deducted €10 euro of the reissued cheque. Are there any reprecussions for me if I just dont go back tomorrow. as there are 2 of us thinking of quitting . thanks for your help

go home the second your 40 hours are up... tell them to sack you if they don't like it....

Any comeback on you depends on your employment contract. In theory they can ask you to stay for what ever period is stated in the contract, but if you've only been there a short time they might be eager to get you out. I would follow the advise given earlier and work the amount of hours stated in your contract; not sure what the maximum leagal amount is. Even if it is 11 am on Friday and you've dome your hours walk out and challenge them to sack you.

If you are only there a few weeks, you have little if any protection under unfair dismissals legislation, so they will be able to sack you quite easily and you'll have no comeback.

The only problem I would see is that your next employer may phone them for a reference and they might tell them that you just disappeared.

Back