Quinn Freeway

Happy Girl

Can I have some feedback from those of you who have invested in Quinn Freeway. Basically are you happy with performance etc. Also what kind of allocations have been made given the recent shift particularly in the Irish market (Celtic). Any suggestions/recommendations of how I should split my 15k investment. I know there have been previous discussions on this but I just wanted more updated opinions.

Have looked at them. As explained I am just looking for more updated opinions given the slowdown in the Irish economy and the US situation and the recent slowdown in the China market.

How long are you willing to leave your money invested?

If it's for 10-20 years, what has happended recently is of little relevance.

If you are taking a short-term view, then equity based investment is not for you.

Definitely looking at putting the 15k away for 20-25yrs. Would Freeway be the best way to go over a term like this.

Looking at going
Euro 40%
UK 40%
Japan 10%
China 10%
Anybody have any views on the above or what way have other allocated.

Just think about currency risk and size of economies in that allocation, why 40% in UK?

Worlds biggest economies are usa (1), japan(2) and eurozone (3) in I believe (order of japan and eurozone may be wrong)

40% in one non-eurozone currency only looks risky?

Am a real novice at this. Only way I was looking at this was how I predicted economies would perform in the future. didn't even consider currency risks. What way would others allocate their fund! would love to hear suggestions and reasonings.

At the highest level I would spread it across different investment terms, asset classes, risk-reward profiles and geographic regions (regardless of currency exchange risk issues). To arrive a specific investment strategy that suits your specific needs may require independent professional advice.

It would be great if someone here could tell you exactly the right funds and percentage allocation for your investment to ensure you get the very best returns but I don't think anyone can provide you with that unfortunately. Everyone has different opinions and no one can predict the future.

Speaking personally however, I feel it's a little strange to completely ignore the Irish market. I recall the prophets of doom pontificating about the coming property crash and its calamitous effects on the Irish economy and stock market at the time of the SSIA launch. I was influenced by their arguments and avoided Quinn Life Celtic Freeway which I had been considering. As a result my SSIA is worth a lot less than it might have been. Now, maybe they'll be right this time around but who knows? The Irish economy has a knack of confounding the sceptics against all the odds and it seems at least worth including it in such an investment mix. Also, remember you'll be paying 1.5% on China and Japan and 1.2% on UK in management charges whereas it's 1.0% on Celtic Freeway. And as mentioned by dublinman you have currency risk to think about, that won't arise with Celtic Freeway.

Just some things to think about. I'm sure there will be others who feel you're right to steer clear but that's just my reaction upon looking at your prospective allocation.

i have also found the celtic freeway to be the best over the last couple of years euro is good also,at the moment it would be hard to tell which would be the best way to go.according to the experts though whats happening at the moment should'nt matter if your in for the long term

Can somebody please advise if I invested as following in Quinn Freeway
UK 20%
Celtic 30%
US 30%
Japan 10%
China 10%
Would I be paying charges as follows
1.2% on UK
1% on celtic
1.2% on US
1.5% on Japan
1.5% on Japan.
Would this make a cumulative charge on the entire fund of 6.4%. Given that I was to understand that Quinn's products were known for their lower charges this seems to contradict this. Can someone clarify for me or have I the wrong end of the stick.

Your effective charge would be

(UK 1.2 * .20 ) + ( Celtic 1 * .30 ) + (US 1.2 * .30) + (Japan 1.5 * .10) + (China 1.5 * .10)
= 1.2%

Can somebody please advise if I invested as following in Quinn Freeway
UK 20%
Celtic 30%
US 30%
Japan 10%
China 10%

Don't forget about Euro in the allocation (though perhaps you're just using the above as an example to calculate charges). That's also at 1.0% and no currency risk and yet still provides you with a bit more diversification from the Irish economy.

On a related issue, I also remember looking at the Quinn Life option when I was taking out my SSIA and was a little put off by the lack of choice at the time with only Euro and Celtic available. In the end, I went with EBS as I felt there was probably more diversification and choice available through their funds with the Global Leaders Summit Fund being a new addition to their existing Growth and Balanced Funds. I gained nothing from this extra choice and the Global Leaders fund underperformed (currency risk with the dollar had a big effect here too). Luckily, I didn't put everything into it and switched new contributions from it about two years ago so I did alright in the end. But the thing that the whole experience highlighted for me is that sometimes you can have too much choice and it doesn't necessarily benefit you anything extra. Now Quinn have launched all these new more exotic funds (for which you're paying considerably more in charges) but no one really can say if they're going to rocket ahead and leave the boring old Celtic and Euro trailing behind. It could quite easily turn out the opposite. With that in mind the issue of management charges seems to acquire greater weight.

I'm not saying go 50% Euro 50% Celtic, I don't know what's the best allocation but there may be a good case for including them both with a significant allocation based on management charges alone as it's the one thing you do have some control over.

Yeah just using that as an example. Still haven't made my mind up what split I am going for. Any other recommendations on this much appreciated.

fwiw (prob nothing!) i went for a 50% euro, 50% celtic and 10% china split as i wanted to avoid large currency risk. however i do feel im overexposed to the irish market given that i live and work here as well! so maybe thats sth to bear in mind. i do think perhaps i also should have stuck a bit in the uk freeway but im happy enough to leave things for the time being.

Just completing form for Freeway and now making my final allocation. Based on all the foregoing advice and information (for which I am most grateful) I have allocated as follows:
Euro Fund 40%,
Celtic 30%,
UK 15%
US 15%.
Any other suggestions/comments before I sign on the dotted line and post off.

Back