question re optimal funding for plug in electric car

cadencep45

first some terminology

There are a number of different types of electric car available at the moment, and that explains why there are so many acronyms.

• Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs) are powered solely by an electric motor/battery, and charged from an external source of electric power. These cars have no tailpipe, and therefore no emissions
  • Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) are equipped with both a petrol or diesel engine, as well as a battery that can be charged up by plugging in. These vehicles can be driven from either power source, and only 'zero emissions' when driven in electric-only mode. They are joined by Range-Extended Electric Vehicles (RE-EVs), which use engines or fuel cells to charge up the batteries
  • Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs) are similar to PHEVs, but the electric motor/battery is smaller and charged by braking/cruising - it can't be plugged in and charged. They're sometimes referred to as 'self-charging hybrids' for this reason. These cars have very limited 'zero emissions' electric-only modes
to my mind HEV's seem to be an evolutionary dead end. It was a valid option when type 1 battery range and recharging infrasture was an issue. So if you exceed 2k a day then battery is empty.

I know goverment has removed the 2.5 K grant ( I believe it was being abused and cars were never
plugged in, instead using petrol engine at all times. Addressing the problem with the scheme rather than
simply closing it I would have thought be more logical in terms of reaching long term objective, but thats just an
idle observation.
I do approx 30 K commute daily so plug in range seems ok.

Now the question, finance..

I have up to now a simple theory based on cash is king.

1. Buy upfront if possible
2. Keep well maintained ( with a local, non dealer mechanic - see below )
3. Drive into ground

repeat every 10-12 years.I am probably more into function than form so not too pushed re having
an older car.

I have a doubt re this strategy when it comes to electronic cars ( term used to refer to car where battery provides drive ). If the most valuable part of an electric car is battery, and the battery has a life span based on charge/discharge cycle, what is expected life ?,as this feeds into car replacement cycle ?

Also most manufacters providd a battery warantee, similar to a rust warantee. However there are caveats attached ( as they make money by not ( legally ) honouring ). The main caveat seems to be serviced by dealer mechanic.

So what is the cheapest way of financing an electric car ? A PCP over 4/5 years rolling over to get new battery/car or something else ?

Back