Question re. JB application.

PaulyB63

HI,

My wife has just this morning applied for JB and during the interview she was asked to provide proof of my income in the form of Payslips. I am a sole trader and haven't yet completed any accounts. My wife said this but they said they wanted any accounts at all....

What should we provide them with and why do they want them?

Please reply if I need to provide additional detail.

Cheers.

It was definately JB. The question on the form had asked how much spouse earns per week and to provide last 3 payslips. I'm self employed and so don't have regular income or payslips so she left this blank and said it to them in person. She was then told to bring my most up to date accounts to office tomorrow. Doesn't make sense to me as she is only claiming for herself and has relevant prsi contributions?

The local office are trying to determine whether your wife can claim for you as a dependent or Qualified Adult. Even though she has declared that she is only claiming for herself, the local office must check in case there is an additional entitlement to a payment.

Information from Welfare.ie (earnings are weekly, gross before tax & PRSI deductions)

If your adult dependant is earning less than €100 you will get a full Increase for a Qualified Adult .
If your adult dependant is earning between €100 and €310 you will get a reduced-rate of IQA.
If your adult dependant is earning more than €310 you will not get an Increase for a Qualified Adult

If that is the case then I don't qualify as I earn over €310 a week. Will her verbal confirmation of this be enough to satisfy the officers or will she still need too provide proof. I don't have any accounts completed yet as I haven't been in business long enough yet....

By the sounds of the post above, declaring that we don't qualify should be enough...

I have another question now in light of the fact that my wife didn't qualify for JB on the basis that she doesn't have enough Class A contributions in the relevant year. (2007) They said she could qualify if she had 26 class A contribs in '07 and 26 in '06... She has 23 in '07 and 30 in '06... She has the correct amount but they're distributed just slightly incorrectly....

Does she have a case to complain or are the rules the rules... Idiotic or not??

Something similiar happened my brother where he was missing 1 credit. He appealed the decision and after about 3 Months of many interviews he got a letter saying they decided to give him JB and it was backdated. I'm afraid i don't know how the apeals process works, but i just wanted to mention that his persistence paid off.

Back