Question about tax and insurance discs...

philcheetham

Hi again,

Having now purchased a car, we have insured and taxed our car and are waiting for our tax discs. We are due to pick up the car today - however im guessing our tax and insurance discs wont arrive until friday at the earliest - are we still okay to drive the car? The car is insured and taxed as of yesterday, it is just that we do not have the discs in our car yet.

If someone can help / advise i'd be grateful. otherwise it could be a very quiet, short travelled weekend!!! :)

Thanks again.

Phil

Yes. You'll be fine.

Display the old insurance disc from your last car (or carry evidence of cover with you).

Bring a copy of the VLC or tax application with you.

I agree with TwoWheels .

Also you should have been given some sale documents by the selling garage. If you take these with you ,they should cover you for a few days as evidence of purchase, until tax and insurance disks turn up.

you should be given some sale documents by the garage. take these with you ,they should cover you for a few days as evidence of purchase, until tax and insurance disks arrive

Please elaborate. My insurer advised me display existing disc on a new car until a new one was issued.

You would be displaying insurance discs relating to a different car, This is an arrestable offence.

In a similar situation before, My Insurer also said not to display my current disc on the new car.

I asked would they send me an email confirming twofor1 is insured to drive car reg no. xxxxxx, from xx/xx/08, they did this no problem., just kept it in the car until the cert and disc arrived.

OP could also be liable for a fine, if detected, for "non-display" of the relevant up-to-date discs.

You would be displaying insurance discs relating to a different car, This is an arrestable offence.

Indeed, but it is an indication that a motor polict exists. Proof of the permanent sunstitution of cover to the car being driven will give the authorities on the spot clarification.

How is it "arrestable"?

If stopped just explain to the guard. They will be understanding if you are honest with them.

I had to do this twice before when stopped at a checkpoint and never had a probelm with the guard.

you should be given some sale documents by the garage. take these with you ,they should cover you for a few days as evidence of purchase, until tax and insurance disks arrive

That's what I said above

Back