Question about Broadband Cables Cat5 & Cat 6 for 100 Upc BB

IrishGunner

One of the lucky ones that can get the new 100 broadband from UPC. They are installing it this weekend. Still not happy with their set up fees but hey its the best out there. Was reading over on boards and talk about Cat5 & Cat6 cables. For this speed is it better to get one of these cables and if so where can you get them and can you get them in various lengths ? Have the desktop in attic and modem is in spare bedroom. Looking to run a cable up to attic. Rang UPC and they don't know if a Cat5 or 6 cable is supplied, no surprise there.

Anyone know about these cables and where to get them either online or bricks and mortar?

Practically any electrical wholesalers/suppliers should have either in stock and will generally sell it in wanted lengths.

Have a look here............

[broken link removed]

There is loads of suppliers out there, but it's importasnt to choose the right cable.
Have a read of this:

[broken link removed]

So for a 100 meg connector I would first check the network cards of the laptop and desktop to make sure they can handle 100 bae T at least. If they were bought in the last few years you should be good.
As the article says you are limited to the speed of the slowest device on your network so ensure everything has 100 meg capability

I would prob go for cat 5E should be plenty good for home use.

HTH

Thanks for this

I will ask the technician which is better Cat5 or 6. Has to be a decent length cable as need to run it from bedroom to attic. Laptop does have a network n adapter which is able to take these speeds. Had to order one of [broken link removed] to manually install in my desktop. UPC do supply a usb dongle but want to install the card

Cheers

Thanks for this

I will ask the technician which is better Cat5 or 6. Has to be a decent length cable as need to run it from bedroom to attic. Laptop does have a network n adapter which is able to take these speeds. Had to order one of [broken link removed] to manually install in my desktop. UPC do supply a usb dongle but want to install the card

Cheers

Sorry I am mildly confused.
The N adapter is a wireless card and klooks like you are getting a wireless card for the PC as well,
I am not sure where you are going to be using the Cat 5 then?

Sorry I am mildly confused.
The N adapter is a wireless card and klooks like you are getting a wireless card for the PC as well,
I am not sure where you are going to be using the Cat 5 then?

Looking to have both options as maybe moving PC to another room so want to have both otpions open. Better speeds if its linked up rather than wireless.Just have to determine the length I require

I have a wireless router in my house and is working fine but I am adding an office as part of an extension to our house. To avoid not being able to pick up the wireless single from my laptop in new office,
1. Can I take an ethernet cable from the wireless box and link this to the new office
2. What type of cable should I use
3. If I was installing a new TV in this area as well would it be advisable to wire for internet here as well?

thanks

Back