Life Query re renewal of life cover to protect mortgage.

Jewel

We are about to renew our life cover to protect the mortgage, but since we originally got the policy our family situation has changed in that we now have 2 small kids , so as well as covering the mortgage we are trying to figure what is the best thing to do to protect the family finances in general.
We are struggling trying to figure out what is the best life/illness option to go with, so thoughts from others would be appreciated.

Our situation: aged 42 and 44 - 20 years left on mortgage, 2 small kids aged 3 and 4 - good benefits at work which include death in service (4 times for me and 1.5 times for my partner) and sick benefit (up to six months full salary) and long term disability (after the 6 mths and applies to major incapacitating illnesses).
Our concerns are that we are both private sector so either or both of us could be out of our jobs next year so these good benefits would be lost to us and we'd have no real sick/life cover.
Also, we are heading into the period in our lives when we are most likely to be struck by illness.

Option 1 30 Euro per month to buy a basic life assurance that covers the mortgage - reducing payout (i.e. covers the mortgage only), with no sickness option . Benefit is that it's cheap, meets the requirements of the bank, and even if either or both of us were unemployed it would be possible to keep paying cover of 30 euro per month.
Cons are that it is not a roll over and if we wanted to renew life cover at the end of 20 years we'd both be in our sixties and would have to do medicals (at a time when either of both of us might have history of ill health)

Option 2 60 euro per month would buy us life cover with a fixed payout Benefits are that it covers the mortgage and thus meets the banks requirements, and also as the years go by, once the mortgage is paid off there would be a balance to go to the remaining spouse to assist them with the cost of rearing the 2 kids (even after mortgage bill goes away, there are still lots of other bills to be covered from one salary). It is also a renewable policy without any medical required at the end of the 60 years.
Cons are that there is no specific illness cover,so if either of us are too ill to work we would still have mortgage payments to meet along with all other bills from one salary.

Option 3 spend 80 - 90 euro - spending 30 euro on the basic life cover above and then spend another 50 or 50 euro per month to buy specific illness cover - the payout for the illness would not be huge (circa 50 k payout) but at least there would be something to help if one of us was too ill to work. And, the life policy would ensure that if the major illness subsequently led to death that the mortgage would be paid off.
Cons - major one is that this is the most expensive option and if either/both of us are unemployed, this would become one more major bill to pay out.

So... apologies for the long post, but I'd be very interested to hear what other people would do in our situation. My partner and I go back and over on this and we need to make a decision fast.

thanks

I know protection needs are individual but from the basic information you give here I feel the three solutions you came up with are not cost effective and won't slot in well with typical life cycle scenarios.

Do you still have time to see an independent intermediary?

Quick question - you are aware that Serious Illness cover on a life policy is in fact a lump-sum payout in the event of contracting one of a list of serious illness? I'm just not sure if you're confusing Serious Illness with PHI Cover, which pays out an income, after a certain amount of time, when you are unable to work due to illness.

Have you considered that at the end of the term of the mortgage your requirement for life assurance cover will have diminished. The mortgage will be paid off, your kids may be grown up at that stage and be looking after themselves. You may take the view that you no longer need life assurance cover or very little (a small amount maybe to cover funeral expenses).

For best value at this time, I think you should consider the cheap mortgage protection policy and a separate specified illness policy or income protection policy. One of the advantages of keeping the specified illness cover separate from the mortgage cover is that if you had a claim you might not want to use the benefit to clear some of your mortgage, you may want to use it for medical/recuperation expenses. If you bundle the lot and assign the policy to the lender then you limit your options.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

www.CheaperLifeAssurance.ie

Another option maybe: a basic mortgage protection policy & a flexible family policy from one of the providers such as New Ireland. Instead of covering you for a large lump sum (which you are currently covered for under your employer) you can ellect to leave your partner with an income on death. They also offer a whole of life continuation option (where you pay an additional premium for the term of the policy but when the policy finishes in say 20 years, you still have whole of life cover even though you're no longer paying a premium), they also offer serious illness cover and have one of the best list of illnesses on the market.
New Ireland havent covered themselves in glory over the years with some of their products, but I believe this new family plan does offer something different.It would also mean you have something separate from your employer benefits should you lose your job.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Hi Jim

To the best of my knowledge New Ireland dont have the new partial payment benefits on their specified illness plans, these added benefits make Irish Life and Zurich better for specified illness cover in my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong if they have added this.

Steve.

Quick question - you are aware that Serious Illness cover on a life policy is in fact a lump-sum payout in the event of contracting one of a list of serious illness? I'm just not sure if you're confusing Serious Illness with PHI Cover, which pays out an income, after a certain amount of time, when you are unable to work due to illness.

Hi - yes, I'm aware it's a lump sum payment and not an on-going salary payment.

We don't really have time to see an independent intermediary - we (very stupidly!!) let the mortgage protection drop on the house (we moved out, never got the renewal notices) so we just discovered that we've been without cover for the past number of months ... yikes ! Sods law would have it that something would happen to one of us now that we know about it and we'd have not cover in place.

So - that's why I want to buy new protection in the next day or two, and trying to figure whether to get the reducing life cover, the fixed life cover (which leaves some, if not most) of the payout going to the estate of the deceased and thus to the family if one of us die.

So - knowing that we KNOW we need some form of life cover (to cover the mortgage) , we are now questioining whether we should nearly be more concerned about a specific illness cover..... as I mention above, I'm aware that the next 20 years are when one or both of us is most likely to be hit with cancer/heart/MS/whatever major illness if we are going to get it, and we would still have 2 kids in school/college.....
Having said that, we couldn't afford to buy BOTH the fixed cover, and the specific illnes cover together.

My mind is adled trying to figure what to do........:confused:

My mind is adled trying to figure what to do........:confused:

1) Put basic mortgage protection in place to keep the bank happy covering the mortgage amount over the remaining term. Go for the cheapest policy. This is your immediate need.

2) Make an appointment to see an independent intermediary and go through your concerns with him/her. This should not be a rushed decision.

Jewel originally said he/she had a renewal coming up shortly but now says the policy lapsed due to non payment some months ago.

Some policies can be reinstated. I really don't like the no time to see someone about it bit. Jewel you're about to put your hand into the fire and some here are encouraging it by misinformation whilst one or two are telling you you're going to get burnt.

If you have time to post here you have time to see an independent intermediary. If you really care for your dependants stop this rush, rush nonsense.

Hi Jim

To the best of my knowledge New Ireland dont have the new partial payment benefits on their specified illness plans, these added benefits make Irish Life and Zurich better for specified illness cover in my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong if they have added this.

Steve.

Hi Stevie,
NI do offer partial payment Stevie (according to latest adviserplus calculations). This puts New IReland better than Aviva,Caledonian & Canada life, on a par with Irish life but not quite as good as Zurich & Friends First. Thats whay I said one of the best for SIC cover. Zurich & FF don't currently offer income on death and/or WOL continuation, so its really down to individual requirements. Hope this clarifies!

www.powerinsurances.ie

Back