Query re no insurance and no summons received.

I

Ismise

Hey all, I got stopped last year on April 8th at a Garda checkpoint, the car had an insurance cert on it, but it wasnt actually insured. The gardai asked if i had insurance to which I said yes, he then asked me to produce my insurance certificate within 10 working days. I had no insurance as I was only home from England for 2 days and went back the day after being stopped. Anyway I havent heard anything since about it? should I presume I've got away with it or can anyone inform me on this?

Thanks in advance.

The Garda have a lot of time to issue the summons - I think a year so you won't have got away with it.

What address did you give ? I presume somewhere in Ireland. Did you ever get a summons at that address ? Court case may even be over and a bench warrent sent. Depends what you mean by getting away with it. If you are not here and you don't bring attention to yourself in the future then chances are you are ok but if you are in the system it will stay there. Was it a country road and a local guard ? That would be more dificult to keep inder the radar.

If the Garda has already made out the summons and because you were away and the summons was not served because of this the Garda can make another application for a new summons to be issued. I think the Garda may have to have proof that he had issued the original summons in time. I would suspect that there probably is no summons ready for you at the moment. It could be resurrected in the above circumstances. Do you live in a city/town or country area as this would have a bearing on the likelihood of the Garda seeing you again. Does the Garda know you to see?

The address given was my home address which my parents still reside at and no summons has arrived there. Its a town but at the same time the gardai would have no reason to know me as I have never been in trouble before and left Ireland a few years ago. The reason I ask if I have got away with it or not was because I went home 2 weeks ago to apply for a new passport and as you know the gardai have to sign it, i took the form in and before he signed it he said he had to run my name through the system. I presume he did this to see if there were any outstanding cases etc for my name? But then he came back and said all is good and gave me back the pictures and the form? Thanks for the replies by the way I appreciate you all taking the time out to do so :)

I'd keep an eye out for the summons for a while. I don't know how long they have but it appears to be a long enough time frame.

Hey all, I got stopped last year on April 8th at a Garda checkpoint, the car had an insurance cert on it, but it wasnt actually insured.

should I presume I've got away with it or can anyone inform me on this?

Thanks in advance.

Do you normally drive without insurance ?

Whose insurance was on the car ?

You may have escaped on this occasion given that the offence occurred a year ago. Best to insure yourself next time you are over here driving and avoid the hassle.

It was my car and my old insurance disk which was in date but i had cancelled it and since they had sent me about 50 disks i held on to one, naughty I know, had only been using it that day as it was an emergency situation! I honestly did try to get temporary short term insurance on it but supposedly you cant get that in Ireland. Oh believe me my lesson has been well and truely learnt after this, spent the last 12 months waiting in fear for the phonecall from home to tell me the summons has come!

If no fine arrived then its very unlikely that it could go to summons after all this time. You could enquire from the Fixed Charge Office in Thurles who issue fines and see what the story is? I wont comment on the driving without insurance even in an emergency! Just glad you didnt have any incident on that occasion.

How on earth are the Gardai going to issue a summons to someone living in the UK.

OP there was no need for you to apply for a passport in Ireland, you could have gone throught the Irish embassy in the UK. I live abroad and do not have to get a garda to witness my photos/form, a bank manager or school principal does it with no problem and they certainly have no computer with data on me.

Next time for the insurance, and there will be a next time, get yourself put on your parents driving licence as a named driver, that's quite cheap.

The fine and summons would have gone to OP home address as he stated above which is his parents home in Ireland!

Back