Query re Homebond cover

capslock

We bought our house new in December 2006. It was a new development and the developer has since gone into Receivership. I have recently noticed what appears to be rising damp on the wall in the hall behind the front door. I can see the patch coming up behind the skirting and some of the paint is starting to crumble. Is this something Homebond covers? I rang them and they said they don't cover water ingress after 5 years. I've read some threads on here about people claiming for leaks etc. well after 5 years so this could be a new thing with them. I've contacted the developer's office to see if they have a copy of the original Homebond agreement but they pretty much fobbed me off. Anyone any advice?

Homebond only cover structural defects, so you'd need to prove any water ingress was as a result of a such defect from the outset.

I couldn't agree more with Thirsty's comment above. When we purchased our new home 22 years ago and raised an issue with them we were told, that when it collapses around you then give us a call.

Having said that, I do know one person who managed to get a structural defect fixed (and defect was apparent within a year of moving in); but only after they told Homebond rep they were being treated for cancer. (Truthfully I might add, not recommending it as a strategy)

HB agreed to repair on 'compassionate' grounds...bless their generosity :(

I was told Homebond were bankrupt by my mgt company when I went looking into a similar issue. I don't know what they are for, I'm sure a payment to them was built into the house purchase price. It's unbelievable the amount of people who fleece you when you buy a house, local city council screwed the people who bought in the estate as well. Farcical.

I was told Homebond were bankrupt by my mgt company when I went looking into a similar issue. I don't know what they are for, I'm sure a payment to them was built into the house purchase price. It's unbelievable the amount of people who fleece you when you buy a house, local city council screwed the people who bought in the estate as well. Farcical.

Did you read the terms & conditions of the Homebond policy you were buying? If not, you are complicit in your own fleecing.

You don't buy a Homebond policy (although I am sure the builder builds in the cost of registering the house) , it was the government scheme set up to help protect people buying houses if structural defects arose. It's not like you could opt out of it and buy yourself a better policy.

It's not like you could opt out of it and buy yourself a better policy.
Exactly! Homebond is a waste of time, effort and money. And best of all, the Insurance Ombudsman says it's not an insurance policy and they have no jurisdiction. So if Homebond refuse your claim, you have no process of appeal except a court action.

There are alternatives to HomeBond in the latent defects market. With all the issues being reported here and elsewhere of dealing with HomeBond, I'm not sure why more people aren't insisting on the alternatives.

My understanding of the input that a purchaser of a new house has in relation to Homebond cover is as close to nil as you get. It is compulsory for the builder / developer to have it and it is included with the other documents that the builder/developer has to supply in order to complete the sale. It ticks a compliance box. Purchaser can take it or leave it. I have heard of too many horror stories about Homebond to have any faith in it. Hardly worth the time you could spend reading it.

I only ever came across two types, Homebond and I think Premier something or other who appeared few years at least after the Homebond scheme. Banks usually insisted house was covered under one or the other but never came across anyone having the option to pick for themselves which to go with, usually the builder had made that decision.

Banks usually insisted house was covered under one or the other but never came across anyone having the option to pick for themselves which to go with, usually the builder had made that decision.

Agreed and my recollection is that Premier were the only other alternative and the builder made the decision there as well

Did you read the terms & conditions of the Homebond policy you were buying? If not, you are complicit in your own fleecing.

I, and the people who bought at the time, were fleeced by the local council and a compulsory scheme. Anything helpful to add?

I benefited under Homebond a number of years ago. I had an issue with Roof trussing and I contacted Homebond who contacted the builder and he sent people to fix the roof. My house was 9 years old at that time. This was dealt with very quickly. (The Homebond Guarantee lasted only 10 years).

It now seems that I was lucky to benefit from the process.

Marion

I benefited under Homebond a number of years ago. I had an issue with Roof trussing and I contacted Homebond who contacted the builder and he sent people to fix the roof. My house was 9 years old at that time. This was dealt with very quickly. (The Homebond Guarantee lasted only 10 years).

It now seems that I was lucky to benefit from the process.

Marion

Very much so. In my case, the builder went to the wall. And Homebond portrays itself as an insurer! If you buy a kettle you have more consumer rights than buying a house, and no one tells you this, incl. your solicitor/surveyor, all the sharks who you need to buy a house but actually contribute damn all for their nice, fat fee.

I, and the people who bought at the time, were fleeced by the local council and a compulsory scheme. Anything helpful to add?

Homebond isn't compulsory. Anything helpful? Well too late for you it seems, but for others, like anything in life, do your research before you buy so you're aware of what your rights are if and when things go wrong. People need to be aware of the limitations of Homebond cover and not just take the builder's word for it that it'll cover anything that can go wrong.

It turned out for us there was a leak coming from the bathroom upstairs. It was easy enough to repair thankfully. Thanks for all the replies.

Back