Query about modern front door lock!!!

kiwifruit

We have had a pvc 5 point locking front door now for the last 3 yrs without any problem whatsoever.
last week i saw the 2 kids messing with the keyhole,they had my wifes key in one side and my key in the other side.I didnt think much of it at the time. Since then when we go to lock the door from either side ,it will lock ok but the key wont turn the full 180degrees so we cant take the key out of the door when its locked!! Not a good situation ,i know, im wondering is there anyone out there that can provide info on how to fix this. It had to be the kids messing that caused the problem,does anyone know what they did as I have no idea of the workings of a lock.
Thanks for reading this essay for starters...

Re: Query bout modern front door lock!!!

We've done this a few times. It is fixable. not sure how though. My husband usually just fiddles with both keys for a bit and eventually it'll work again.

Chances are this is a 'Euro Lock'. If you can't fix it these are very easy to change, if you can open the door :) To remove the lock, open the door, there will be a single screw where the bolt comes out. Remove the screw, and pull the lock out. To get a new one of the correct length, measure the length of the lock and measure the distance on each side of the lock to it's center. There are different lengths of lock for different door thicknesses, so you need to get a match, often the wrong size lock will be used in a door, so it sticks out too much on one or both sides.

http://www.diydata.com/carpentry/euro_cylinder_lock_replacement/euro_cylinder_lock_replacement.php

Chances are this is a 'Euro Lock'. If you can't fix it these are very easy to change, if you can open the door :) To remove the lock, open the door, there will be a single screw where the bolt comes out. Remove the screw, and pull the lock out. To get a new one of the correct length, measure the length of the lock and measure the distance on each side of the lock to it's center. There are different lengths of lock for different door thicknesses, so you need to get a match, often the wrong size lock will be used in a door, so it sticks out too much on one or both sides.

http://www.diydata.com/carpentry/euro_cylinder_lock_replacement/euro_cylinder_lock_replacement.php

Good link. I replaced my locks like that recently. The originals were asymmetrical in distance between both sides of the lock. However, the only ones I could find in the shops were completely symmetrical, with equal distance to the two sides. So they are sticking out of the door, like you said.

If you are going to replace a euro cylinder or oval (scandanavian) cylinder - make sure it does not extrude from the handles of the door. The lock should be flush. If you cant get a lock thats flush, then fit a "antisnap" cylinder.
Patio doors are particularly vunerable. For obvious reasons I wont go into the specifics. But if you google anti snap cylinders you should get more information.

The basic 4/5/6 pin versions also appear to be very easy to pick, if the number of videos on u-tube is anything to go by.:eek:

Back