Qualifying for the UK State Pension - reply received

dillsquatt

I worked in UK from 1987 to 1998 - sent form CF83 form and cover letter March 2023 and received reply today.

I ticked to pay Class 2 contributions on the form but in the letter back from them today - they want list of employers since 2006 in Ireland.

I spoke to a lady (after 40 minutes) and she said I should not have ticked box for Class 2 contributions as that is only for self employed people. I am totally confused! My siblings, friends all received letter stating how much they need to pay and as far as I know they ticked Class 2.

Any help appreciated?

I worked in UK from 1987 to 1998 - sent form CF83 form and cover letter March 2023 and received reply today.

I ticked to pay Class 2 contributions on the form but in the letter back from them today - they want list of employers since 2006 in Ireland.

I spoke to a lady (after 40 minutes) and she said I should not have ticked box for Class 2 contributions as that is only for self employed people. I am totally confused! My siblings, friends all received letter stating how much they need to pay and as far as I know they ticked Class 2.

Any help appreciated?
You have to give them details of employment in order to qualify to pay class 2. The more information you provide the better. Some people have sent a copy of their prsi record from ireland. They won't just accept you were employed without some detail.

Does it matter if you were employed outside of the EU immediately after leaving the UK for a few years before having employment in Ireland? In my case I was employed by the company in the UK, was transferred overseas and then transferred to Ireland over a space of 10 years.

I've heard you may not be able to pay class 2 if you were employed outside of the EU.

thanks for that, its reassuring. Just hope the wait for 2nd reply isnt as long as 1st one!
Don't expect a speedy response to your 2nd letter. I sent mine (ie 2nd letter, with full employment history) in Sept 2023. According to HMRC, I can expect a reply 24 August! And date keeps being pushed out, it was originally June :-(

Don't expect a speedy response to your 2nd letter. I sent mine (ie 2nd letter, with full employment history) in Sept 2023. According to HMRC, I can expect a reply 24 August! And date keeps being pushed out, it was originally June :-(
I rang them today and they said to expect to get a reply within 14 days .....

Does it matter if you were employed outside of the EU immediately after leaving the UK for a few years before having employment in Ireland? In my case I was employed by the company in the UK, was transferred overseas and then transferred to Ireland over a space of 10 years.

I've heard you may not be able to pay class 2 if you were employed outside of the EU.
No that is not true. It has to be employment abroad, the earnings from which would have been subject to Class 1 NICs if the employment had occurred in the UK.

I spoke to them again this morning and told me the wait till was 50 weeks and I will hear February 2025. She also said they were hoping to getting extra resources but no guarantee!! Crazy

My letter received yesterday gives me until 5 April 2025 to pay.

Presumably this will be extended for those receiving their replies very close to that date.

I wouldn't make too many presumptions; anyone applying now has plenty of time to save.

The deadline has been extended a couple of times already. The latest deadline is still over a year away.
There has been widespread publicity, from the UK govt and the media.
There has to be a date when the window shuts and, my guess is that April5th 2025 will be the final date for payments, to be received.
Whether the UK govt will accept applications which arrive in the Pensions Office on April 4th is open to speculation, but its clear that the document I received says the following,
" we cannot accept your payment if we receive it after the Final Time Limit" ( April 5th 2025, for the years between 2006 and2018).

So, whilst the UK Pensions Office has been quite flexible, there is no guarantee of payments accepted after the Final Time Limit.
This means getting your assessment completed, a decision on NI class and the payment into HMRC by next April. As the process can take several months, time is beginning to run out.

This is the final date to apply.

Once your application to make back payments is accepted, you have to pay by the given date.

My memory is that I had about a year.
Not really. As far as I know, the payments have to be made strictly before 5th April 2025. However, their usual practise for applications in the pipeline ahead of that date is to give 8 weeks from the date of their letter confirming your eligibility for voluntary contributions. And the 8 weeks is a bit misleading too as HMRC route all their international post through a distribution centre in Rotterdam (so much for Brexit!) so, 3 - 4 of those 8 weeks have expired by the time you get the letter in the door.

Back