Q about painting doors and skirtings

Marianne S

The woodowrk in our house is badly in need of a spruce up but I have a couple of questions. They are currently painted in white gloss, we will be painting them in white gloss. Do we need to sand the wood before painting? There are a couple of tiny patches where paint has been knocked off so there is bare wood visible, I assume we have to sand these areas and use undercoat? Are we likely to need two coats of paint?

Paint away. There is no need to sand or put in needless effort. As long as the doors are free of dirt just apply your new coat. Number of coats will depend on the condition of the doors at the moment.

I would have thought you'd have to wash the surface to get rid of any dirt. Then give it a very light sand so the new paint has something to grip/key to. Otherwise the paint will flake. It would be the same with varnish.

Crugers' points in the above link are valid. Preparation is the key to a quality paint finish. Time spent cleaning, filling and sanding will show in the results.
Leo

Last weekend I finished gloss painting two bay windows (23 panels in each and lots of moulding). Went at it hammer and tongs but this morning I've decided to do them again. Did not prepare enough and the indents look bad. Lesson learned. And bang goes another weekend - not to mention the smell.:(

Thanks for the replies, it didn't occur to me I'd have to use undercoat as well, this could be a long job!

Back