putting together a list of Irish movies from the last 20 years

Thirsty

I'm putting together a list of Irish movies from the last 20 years or so for some visitors.

So far I have

The Field
The Committments
Rat
Inside I'm Dancing

Any more ideas?

Intermission
The Van
Into the West

I'm sure there's more that others can remember.

How about these films:

Once
Breakfast on Pluto
The Butcher Boy
The Snapper
In The Name Of The Father

"I went down".

Funny scene when drived is stopped by the Gardai. Gardai asks him where is from and he replies "Dublin".

Driver then asks the Gardai "Where you from yourself"?

Cannot believe poor auld Maureen and John in Ryans Daughter hasn't gotten a mention.

Or another where we had an oscar winning actress - My Left Foot.

Two I personally loved were I Went Down and Garage.

Cannot believe poor auld Maureen and John in Ryans Daughter hasn't gotten a mention.

Or another where we had an oscar winning actress - My Left Foot.

Two I personally loved were I Went Down and Garage.

Robert Mitchum & Sarah Miles in Ryan's daughter , surely ?

Wasn't the bould Robert flying ladies of easy virtue into Ireland from all over Europe at the time ?

Eat the peach was another enjoyable film.

Kisses is a good movie about two teens in Dublin that runaway together from abusive homes.

I Went Down

TMI, Truthseeker! ;) Maybe you should change your name to Truthteller!

Robert Mitchum & Sarah Miles in Ryan's daughter , surely ?

Wasn't the bould Robert flying ladies of easy virtue into Ireland from all over Europe at the time ?

Eat the peach was another enjoyable film.

Absolutely loved that film, Deise. Probably outside of Thirsty's 20 year or so range, but great. I spent summers around Ballyferriter in the years after it was made. We used to go down to the [broken link removed] when we were walking back from Kruger's. To this day, I cannot believe that someone hadn't the foresight to prevent it from slipping into a state of total disrepair! :(

It's a pity that above Dunquin wasn't kept either. The makers of the film, realising that it was built on land owned by a number of local farmers, demolished it without advance notice, as they were afraid that it would lead to division locally, which they didn't want as part of their legacy in the area.

And, yes, the bould Robert was a buachaill dána down there alright. And, apparently, Sarah Milles was a cailín dána with the buachaill dána also! ;)

A leithéid!!! :)

Pyjama Girls
Not a tourism movie (nor is earlier suggestion of Between the Canals) but good gritty urban films about modern day Dublin.

The Snapper, but visitors mightn't 'get' it. Still one of my favourites though.

Accelerator is a good budget film.

An Everlasting Piece is a brilliantly funny satire based in NI.
The Most Fertile Man in Ireland is another NI based comedy, along the same lines.

Rewind, with BOD's better half, Amy Huberman, is getting bloody good reviews, mostly for her performance.

Back