Putting myself forward as officer manager

Can I get a job in your company.. your lunch breaks seem to last all morning, afternoon and mid - afternoon.. judging by past posts!:D

Two suggestions - The 'get back in line' viewpoint isn't sustainable - even the public service has moved on from the idea of promotions being based on time served. You need to find other reasons why you should get the promotion and others shouldn't - I'm not sure what you meant by management of utilities. Your boss might well be thinking that if you have all these great ideas on tap, why haven't you brought them to fruition before now?

Hi Carpenter,

Best of luck with your endeavours on the promotion. Let us know how you get on :)

MidlandsBase,

You appear to have more than made your point at this stage. Carpenter makes posts at all times of the day/evening/week-ends to help everyone here at AAM especially yourself

Thanks Sueellen! however I'll probably be cutting back a liitle back on my contributions.....don't want to upset anybody....

Well the coffee and muffin was nice......I made my case, gave a rough outline of what I thought could be done to improve matters etc. We agreed to meet this Friday to discuss the matter more, I said I would bring a written proposal, in draft form, for further discussion. However I've since had a change of heart....I wanted to go for this as a means of promotion, but I think the boss was oblivious ( at least that's the impression I got!) to my intentions. I reckon he thinks this is just extra responsibilities (he believes the role is important and necessary) to be tagged onto my existing job, for no extra pay or benefits. He even suggested that alot of the stuff I had proposed drafting up and initiating could be delegated to the former receptionist when she returns from her 6 week honeymoon! So basically I would be handing over original ideas and authorship to someone else, presumably for their benefit. I'm not interested in that. I think I'll stick to my key area and watch things unfold from the wings, they need an Office Manager, I honestly believe, but they don't want their authority to dissipate. So that's fine, it's their company and I can't do much more. I am going in to tell him this morning that I'm taking an extra week's holiday in September! Yipee!

Carpenter said:
I think the boss was oblivious ( at least that's the impression I got!) to my intentions. I reckon he thinks this is just extra responsibilities (he believes the role is important and necessary) to be tagged onto my existing job, for no extra pay or benefits.
Sorry it doesn't seem to have worked out for you. Did you explicitly tell him what your intentions were?

Hi there Carpenter,

Sorry about this (temporary) setback. Have you considered that you might be perceived as getting too big for your boots and therefore a threat?
The ship is rudderless and I want to take the wheel!
I'm not in business but it can happen that the best ideas are rejected for no good reason other than the perception mentioned above.
I have a lot of ideas about the kind of issues/ areas we should be looking at and managing more effectively.
Maybe you have too many for your own good in this company!
He even suggested that alot of the stuff I had proposed drafting up and initiating could be delegated to the former receptionist when she returns from her 6 week honeymoon!
Isn't that the writing on the wall? I'd bet you might have a great future - somewhere else! It sounds like you haven't enough to do and maybe your colleagues haven't either. Managing some of them out of a job wouldn't make you popular. If it was your own business, that's a different ball game. Now you'll have to convince them you don't want to be captain after all. Good luck.:)

Update.
Just got a call from a major supplier who does substantial work for my employer. In between sorting out some technical queries etc he complimented me on some work I had done in the last few weeks and best of all offered me a job! A change in career, in an area I would love to work in, bespoke traditional joinery...only one problem, the company is Dublin based. But methinks i should go and talk to them in any case, whatcha think???

If I remember some info on a previous thread you are based in /around Carlow? If so I would arrange a meeting, can do no harm and it will give you a chance to see how the 'commute' works out, if you stay put. please feel free to correct any mis-information!!

I'm actually Laois based. The company is based in Dublin but do work all over the country. I'm going to discuss this with Mrs C this evening and come to some conclusion, it wouldn't hurt to meet the man and talk about what exactly is on offer. I'm approaching my 34th birthday at the end of the week and have been looking at my career path of late. I'd love a change and maybe this is the way to go. However it is a bit daunting, Mrs C is taking a year off to look after Baby C and changing circumstances are a little stressful? But that said we are financially ok so there's no such thing as the "perfect time" for change.....

It can do no harm at all, remember saying 'yes' that you otherwise might say no to may lead to your destined future!

Other option is to use the offer as a negotiating ploy for your current situation this will soon tell you if you're sufficiently valued

"Other option is to use the offer as a negotiating ploy for your current situation this will soon tell you if you're sufficiently valued".

This is my preferred option and underlying intention. I plan to ring the potential employer to meet him in any case. If nothing else his phonecall was a much needed bit of appreciation/ praise for the quality of the work I do, something which I haven't had from my current employer in a long time. I will keep you posted..........

Back