Purchasing contents as part of buying a house

B

Brown bear

Hello, I'm a newbee to this forum so apologies if I make any mistakes!

I'm looking to buy a house at the moment that is very close to a stamp duty threshold. I'm not a FTB so I will be paying stamp duty.

I think that I could do a deal with the vendor to buy some contents that would satisfy his aims of achieving the price he is demanding for the house (up to €8K).

Q - If the price for the contents takes me over the stamp duty threshold would revenue chase me for the higher SD level on both purchase & contents?
Q - How would this appear on contract or would there be a separate contract for the contents? (Or would if just be a cash transaction as suggested by the EA?)
Q - Does anyone check on the lists of contents to see if they are valued properly?

The purchase price and contents must be totalled to see what stamp duty percentage applies.

Then that percentage is applied to the purchase price only.

Yes the revenue can check that the contents are valued correctly in an audit case.

If the auctioneer is suggesting a cash transaction he is more than likely suggesting defrauding the state. Do you really want to be involved in that?

In a legal transaction the contents are listed in the contract and a special condition is inserted giving the value of same.

Back