Purchasing a holiday home in France

Can't really advice about agents except it a bit of a free for all. Properties are generally advertised with just one agent but all agents including free lancers can sell and split commission with the origional agent.

As regards where in Nice, it depends on what you are looking for. Sea view properties are 30-50% dearer. There is a long promenade and beach area, but locations close to the airport are a good bit out from the main city area. The old town is very busy but the buildings generally don't have lifts or terraces and it can be noisy at night. Mount Boron is expensive as it overlooks the city and Med. Areas around the main train station are not sought after generally and apartments inland from the motorway are generally a little cheaper.

We are in the Muscien's Quarter, 800m from Promenade.
There are other posters here that are in the business in Nice, I'm sure they will advice you!

Can anyone make a second home purchase in France stack up financially.
We have considered buying where we live at the moment. But it makes much more financial sense to rent and then when we go home and want to revisit to rent weekly again.

My back of envelope calculations of annual costs for running a house here were €8000, the transactions costs are 20% of purchase price and that money is GONE.

It's romantic to have a place. But even if you have the cash to buy...it seems more sensible to lodge it in a high interest account and rent.

Maybe I'm missing something....its entirely possible.

Does anyone know what in the world is happening to Odalys ? I have a leaseback in France and have not received a dime in 2009 income. Anyone else experiencing this problem with them ?

There were some threads on here about problems like yours...but for ?liable reasons they were deleted/locked.

So a search and see if you can find any remnants.

Hi Kenmorewest,
I have a leaseback managed by Odalys in Cap D'agde, rent has been paid up to date. Where is your development?

Back