Pumped shower cutting out?

agapanthus

I have an upstairs power shower which is run from my hot tank by a pump downstairs. Recently the pump has started cutting out few minutes into shower, first time it happened I thought it had tripped a switch but that wasnt the case. Each time it starts again after few minutes of standing there cold and wet, however yesterday it was showing no sign of starting again so i came downstairs to check there was still power to it, it is plugged in to a socket so I plugged it out and in again and it started. However this is not feasible solution all the time. Not a problem with water pressure, that was already suggested to me. Any ideas what could be wrong before i have to call a plumber. Pump is only about 2 yrs old and used maybe twice a week.

Having crawled under shelf in hotpress with mobile phone for light I have discovered the make and model. Watermill ANHPC 60DVL high performance, low voltage.

Have a sparks in the family who has already looked at it and doesnt see anything wrong with it.

It may be the flowswitchs, they are located on both the outlets. Turn the shower on cold only, and see if it shuts off, then try it on hot only. this will tell you which flow switch may be faulty.
About 1/2 litre a minute water flow is needed to activate switchs so it may be worth isolating shower and checking the filters, there are two and they are located on the inlet where the fexli pipe meets the pump. Clean them out if they are dirty as this will slow down flow.
Good Luck.

Similar thing started happening to my shower recently. In my case, if you take the shower head off the pump works away fine. I then cleaned the shower head with vinegar and it now works without cutting out. Let me know how you get on...

Have had the plumber who installed shower back, as 2 yr guarantee is up in couple of weeks, he said there is a chamber on the side of the pump that must have 1 bar pressure in it and it was all gone. Dont ask me what this means, he said it was like a football going soft. Anyway he used a pump to put it back in again and said it should be fine. All seemed well, had a shower the next day and it was fine. Used it again today and it was going fine for a good while then just stopped for maybe 10 seconds and started again. Nearly scalded me though as it was roasting when it started up again. Does this explanation for what was wrong with it sound right and it the pressure is back in there now, why did it stop again, I know it was only briefly but still I want to be sure it is okay especially since guarantee up shortly. Would appreciate any info.

Could it be that your water tank isn't large enough? I had this problem and had to get 2 new tanks in the attic. It only happened if I had used a lot of water around the same time as the shower (washing machine, dishwasher). Pumps drive a lot of water out of your tank quickly.

IF the pump is still under warrenty, connect the supplier of the pump (local merchant, etc) inform them of the problem or get plumber to, they may ask for receipt. The supplier will then contact the manufacturer who inturn will contact a serviceman and arrange a site visit I.E your home. Even if the company is based outside Ireland they will have local pump men on contract.
The pump has to be inspected on site and fitted to ensure the problem is not installation related. If the problem is not related to the pump you will be charged a fee.

Back