Pumped in insulation?

Tarquin

Hi, one of my neighbours has got pumped in insulation put in his external walls and Im considering doing the same. However, my neighbour has gone abroad for several months and I can't find out who he used. If anyone has had foam insulation put in and would recommend the company they used, I would appreciate it.

Re: Recommendation for company to do pumped in insulation?

To source a suitable contractor, what is your location. I used a crows from Westport who are very good, but I'm sure there are many dotted around the country

Hi, one of my neighbours has got pumped in insulation put in his external walls and Im considering doing the same. However, my neighbour has gone abroad for several months and I can't find out who he used. If anyone has had foam insulation put in and would recommend the company they used, I would appreciate it.

as far as i know theres no 'foam' system certified yet.... only the polystyrene beads and the quilted insulation...

Mercman, interesting, can you share a bit more please:

what exactly did you get done,
how much,
what material
any other tips on this topic please?

Thank you very much.

There are quite a few other threads under 'cavity wall insulation' in this forum so you may get some advice from them. It might be as well also to give a call to discuss this subject with one of their advisers. They can confirm if your house is suited to this job.

Thanks Sueellen, I meant pumped in insulation. I did ring the SEI and found them quite unhelpful, which surprised me. I did a search already on previous posts but didnt actually find any company mentioned, hence the post.

Tarquin & Eamonn. As already mentioned I had this job done. They pump the aerosol into the cavities by, drilling holes in the walls around the house. Leaves a few small holes but nothing major. The average house I would say takes about a half a day. The crowd I used where from Westport Co.Mayo and where very good. More important the system works. Once you bring the property to a level of heat, it remains thanks to the insulation,

Thanks Mercman. Now, I am possibly being a bit thick - but was this a foam or was it the silver coated bead you got done? Thank you.

As far as I can remember it was a foam

mercman... can you pm me this companies name please..

or even better if you could share it on here please?

Hello, we got foam insulation done in our house 2 years ago. The house is a semi-detached house c. 1,300 sq.ft, built in 1960 with cavity block.

Shannon Insulations from Killucan, Co. Westmeath did the work but we are in Cork so they obviously travel around. The job cost € 1,400 incl. and was done in one day. Very neat. There has been a big difference in the heat in the house. We are very satisfied.

I have no connection with this company.

eamonn - can't find the details but the contractor was based in Westport, the job was about £800 and it was done about 7 years ago. Worth having done for the heat saving alone.

Thanks Sueellen, I meant pumped in insulation. I did ring the SEI and found them quite unhelpful, which surprised me. I did a search already on previous posts but didnt actually find any company mentioned, hence the post.

Hi Tarquin,

I meant the same thing also but perhaps I'm calling it by the wrong name?

This thread discussed the matter very well.

This post has a recommended company.

Could I just request some clarification on this please... for those of you who had this done, were your cavity walls totally without insulation before the pumped-in stuff was, er, pumped in?

Or did anybody every try adding it to a partial cavity fill? We've got a 120mm cavity with 70mm aeroboard (i.e. non-foam-backed) in it, I'm wondering would it be a good idea to fill the remaining space with pumped-in stuff?

Thanks.

Henry, can I ask how was the cavity block itself filled? I thought this process was only successful with Cavity walls. We have just moved to our house in the past year (16 year old building) and we would like to get this done but we think our house was built with cavity blocks. Any advice from anyone would be great.

IN relation to the Op post -I can recommend a family run business from the Meath area as far as I recall-the name is Coopers and my parents and neighbours have all used them and are very happy with the results. I have no connections at all with this company.

We're doing a self build. Having pearls pumped into the cavity in conjunction with kingspan.

Our engineer gave us a contact and also did the U Value calculations.

Heres hoping its for the best. Wasn't keen on having the boards applied to the external facing walls.

We have just moved to our house in the past year (16 year old building) and we would like to get this done but we think our house was built with cavity blocks. Any advice from anyone would be great.

Getting this done on a cavity block wall is pointless, you would have to drill every chamber in every block to ensure a full fill, and even then I'm not sure the expense would be worth it.

So first step is to confirm what construction type was used.
Leo

Leo-thats what I thought. Will just have to confirm what way it was built and work from there. How can I check to see if its cavity blocks/wall?

Thanks

Leo-thats what I thought. Will just have to confirm what way it was built and work from there. How can I check to see if its cavity blocks/wall?

Thanks

One recommendation some time back was to look into the ESB meter box and you may well be able to see from there.

Back