Pulled over for overweight trailer-question?

nod

I was pulled by the traffic corp on Friday whilst pulling a double axle trailer behind a 2.8litre deisel van.I had 2 tonne of stone in the trailer,they took me to the weight bridge and the total weight onf van+trailer+stone was 5 tonne.
My question is,I have a B and EB licence,what is the maximum permitted combined weight with an EB licence,I know that the ordinary B licence permist a max of 3.5 tonne,the EB is unclear.
Even the guards at the station where I produced my documents hadn't a clue.

BVehicles with seats for up to 8 passengers and max weight of 3,500kg17 years
EBVehicles in category B with a trailer attachedFull EB licence

3500kg = 3.5 tonne

So it looks like you may have been over-weight. I have never heard of anyone being brought off to a weight bridge!!

Unless the trailer is being pulled with a truck it legally cannot have a GVW in excess of 3500kg. The Guards are beginning to take this more and more seriously and have no problem pulling people along to a weighbridge, I sell and service trailers for a living and have been amazed the attitude to loading trailers. The whole "sure if it fits in the trailer then it's ok" idea has to stop.

whats the idea of focusing solely on weight?? I was going to collect a car with a van and trailer, i'm sure the combined weight will be over 3.5 tonnes but it's a perfectly safe load - long wheel base 2.5ltr turbo transit, proper car trailer, and proper tie-downs.

should i get a tow truck to deliver the car instead? it's gonna be a lot more expensive though

Sorry if I did'nt make that clear. Its's only the trailer and payload that cannot exceed 3500kg. Technically once the towing vehicle is physically capable of towing that load then its ok. Having said that I have heard rumours of a new regulation that twin/tri axle trailers can only be pulled by four wheel drive vehicles but having been on to both the Dept of Transport and Dept of Environment recently I can't get a straight answer.

Back