pubs with lower prices

P

Protocol

What does anybody think about the Bundoran pub that has decided to sell all pints and spirits+mixers at 2.50 each, all the time??

I think fair play to him. He is obviously still making a profit, so it goes to show how much extra the other pubs are charging. There was an article in Saturdays Independent about "The Croppy Acre" on the Quays which charges €3.00 a pint and they reckon they are still making a 100% profit on each pint. The more pubs that do this the more that prices will drop back down to a normal rate. (hopefully)

Yeah the papers over the weekend showed a breakdown and on a 4.50 per pint there was a 200% profit for publican, so a drop to 100% seems reasonable from the consumers point of view, methinks.

But if drink prices come tumbling down will someone come in and give out that we'll become a nation of raving alco's? After all, I'm sure yer man in Bundoran is banking on an increase in both customer-base and consumption.

But if drink prices come tumbling down will someone come in and give out that we'll become a nation of raving alco's?

Yes someone will definitely come in and say this, but it is a load of bull really. As a nation we will always drink, no matter what the price is, but more and more people are staying at home to drink as it is too expensive at the moment to go to a pub. But if the prices are brought down, more people will go to the pub, but probably still drink the same. You might have a couple of weeks where a minority go mad on the drink but this will settle down after a while.

From memory, there used to be a website which listed the cheapest pints in Dublin. I can't seem to find it, at the minute. Does anyone have it to hand ?

Finfacts did a Guinness Index some time ago, similar to the Big Mac index, which showed that the price of the pint, as a proportion of average earnings has crept up only slightly since the mid-Seventies.

I agree though, that pubs do seem extortionate in Dublin. Low cost publican [broken link removed] pulled out of a plan to come into Dublin recently. Does anyone know why ?

In other countries, you can find a whole range of pubs and prices to meet your taste. I don't think that the Irish drinker is really all that price sensitive, but it does seem very odd that prices seem to vary so little, and that any attempt for a low cost option to come into the market is dismissed as having nefarious intentions.

the attention is always on the pint

you get about 30 shots of vodka out of a bottle that costs the publican about € 11 that 's € 120!!!

and standard policy is usually for pubs to get free mixers from the brewery, so add € 2.40 per drink and you see the reall profits, even after light heat, staff ( which they need less of after the smoking ban because less people go out

typical publican response was not to be proactive but to rise the price of drink after the smoking ban!

price of spirits

Well, to be accurate, there are 20 shots of 35.5ml in a standard bottle. These retail at 25 euro, so I suppose the pubs pay less.

on a 4.50 per pint there was a 200% profit for publican,

Did the breakdown show how much of the cost of a pint was going to Insurance, Paying Staff, Rates, etc. etc?

I'm not an accountant, and I have no love for publicans, but when newspapers start throwing around figures like 200% *profit* without explaining that it isn't actually profit until the expenses are paid, it doesn't help the situation.

I'm not saying there isn't overcharging, certainly paying 4 to 5 euro for EACH pint of Coke in Bars and Restaurants, while US Restaurants and many Bars offer free refils, I do think there's something going on with the price of Soft Drinks, which is all I really have experience of.

I'm just not sure if it's greed or some other factors that are driving it. I'd have thought that US bar owners would have been as greedy as the Irish, and it certainly can't be lack of competition, there are villages in Ireland with more Pubs than people.

Methinks rent, insurance, rates, and wages are driving up the prices in Irish Pubs, but I have very little to prove me right or wrong.

-Rd

Back