Public service pay

deco87

Does the recent public / civil service 10.25 percent - apply to retired public / civil servants as well ?

Minister Donohoe confirmed that the pay rise will be applicable to new entrants to public service such as Gardaí and Teachers and that the benefits will also be passed on to pensions for those already retired from public service".

Yes it does. Also if you retired after Jan 1st, 2024 your lump sum would also go up by 2.25% as well. Just FYI.

Best,

Opus2018
Hi Opus
If a civil servant retired in December 2024, would they be eligible for the March 2025 2% pay rise or would they have to be working in March 2025 to be eligible. This was mentioned here previously eg “retire within 3 months of a wage rise in an agreement you could have this new calculation be included as part of final salary

Hi Opus
If a civil servant retired in December 2024, would they be eligible for the March 2025 2% pay rise or would they have to be working in March 2025 to be eligible. This was mentioned here previously eg “retire within 3 months of a wage rise in an agreement you could have this new calculation be included as part of final salary
Hi November16,

A very good question! Now that you mention it, I have a vague memory that if you retired during the financial crisis you could retire at the higher rate of pay, but I don’t about your specific query . I’ll check this out and get back to you on this point.

Best,

Opus2018

For pre-2013 scheme retirees, any increase in the salary of the corresponding grade is also passed onto the retiree.
My recollection is that post-2013 scheme increases for retirees are linked to inflation rates.

Hi November16,

A very good question! Now that you mention it, I have a vague memory that if you retired during the financial crisis you could retire at the higher rate of pay, but I don’t about your specific query . I’ll check this out and get back to you on this point.

Best,

Opus2018
Thanks very much Opus2018 much appreciated

Thanks very much Opus2018 much appreciated
Hi november16,

Just coming back to you on your query - Sorry for the delay! :( It looks like you have to be in service to avail of the increase in the lump sum. You will get the increase in your pension from the date of the pay increase though assuming the Minister OK's it.

That's why people close to retirement hang on for the last pay increase to get the boost to the lump sum.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Opus2018.

Hi november16,

Just coming back to you on your query - Sorry for the delay! :( It looks like you have to be in service to avail of the increase in the lump sum. You will get the increase in your pension from the date of the pay increase though assuming the Minister OK's it.

That's why people close to retirement hang on for the last pay increase to get the boost to the lump sum.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Opus2018.
Thanks very much Opus for getting back with this information yes that makes sense. Yes hanging on would be advisable

Thanks very much Opus for getting back with this information yes that makes sense. Yes hanging on would be advisable
You’re most welcome! Keep a close eye on matching your retirement date to the next round of pay increases given the new Public sector pay deal!

Best,

Opus2018

Does the recent public / civil service 10.25 percent - apply to retired public / civil servants as well ?

Minister Donohoe confirmed that the pay rise will be applicable to new entrants to public service such as Gardaí and Teachers and that the benefits will also be passed on to pensions for those already retired from public service".
1% is linked to work practice changes and these do not pass on to people already retired before the time of that 1% increase . There is another 2% agreed for the follow on deal in 2 years time in similar work practice changes .

1% is linked to work practice changes and these do not pass on to people already retired before the time of that 1% increase
Are you sure?

I’d imagine if the increase is applied to a given grade or class of worker then pensioners who retired at same level would get it the increase.

Are you sure?

I’d imagine if the increase is applied to a given grade or class of worker then pensioners who retired at same level would get it the increase.
That’s always been the case, even when pay rises have been linked to productivity.

Don’t see why it would be any different this time.

Back