Public Service Pay Scales & Promotion

No they do not.

If you have proof of public servants who have been denied their annual increment, I'd be delighted to see it.

Listen this is going to go around in circles.. I've no idea who you are, where you work or anything. All I can tell you from first hand experience, is that increments are refused.

Proof is [broken link removed] if you wish to read.

[broken link removed]

Hi,

would anyone be able to point me to a copy of Circular 10/71 ?
Have googled and searched the Finance site but can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

Hi,

would anyone be able to point me to a copy of Circular 10/71 ?
Have googled and searched the Finance site but can't seem to find it.

Thanks.
Here you go...[broken link removed]

Lost internet access last night (NTL..whole other story) so just catching u on this thread now.

I made my points to HR. They still refused the increased. I am still taking the post as I feel it is a good career move in the long-term and the immediate financial gain is not the most significant factor in my decision-making.

Thanks for all the posts. I agree with almost all of them.

RonanC, although I dont agree with it, my organisation does grant increments irrespective of performance.

Lost internet access last night (NTL..whole other story) so just catching u on this thread now.

I made my points to HR. They still refused the increased. I am still taking the post as I feel it is a good career move in the long-term and the immediate financial gain is not the most significant factor in my decision-making.

Thanks for all the posts. I agree with almost all of them.

RonanC, although I dont agree with it, my organisation does grant increments irrespective of performance.

I think your doing the right thing in accepting the position, and wish you all the best with it. Generally those who join the Public Service are not chasing the money, or the life long job, but the satisfaction of doing something good for the community or the public. It may sound like fantasy land but its true in most cases... Nurses, Doctors, Firemen & women, Gardaí, Army/Navy/Air Corp and even the clerical staff in government departments.

Can I ask do you know if PMDS is carried out in your new organisation? Is it Public or Civil Service, or is it a state agency? You dont need to say where it is, but terms relating to pay and increments would differ between the civil service and those working for semi state bodies or state agencies.

It is public service. Yes, PMDS exists but hasn't been very successful. Management have been very vocal in their negative opinions in it so many staff feel if just another he exercise. I did my first review 16 months ago and have not heard a word about it since!

Forgive me Newbie but you do have the option of refusing the promotion which would release you from the predicament you find yourself in

Are you sure about this Newbie?

Normally in the Public Sector in order to get your increment your Line Manager has to sign off on your performance. Otherwise you don't move up your pay scale.

Yes, PMDS exists but hasn't been very successful. Management have been very vocal in their negative opinions in it so many staff feel if just another he exercise. I did my first review 16 months ago and have not heard a word about it since!

Of course Management are complaining about PMDS. It's more work for them.

I find it very benefical in my Public Sector career.

Are you sure about this Newbie?

Normally in the Public Sector in order to get your increment your Line Manager has to sign off on your performance. Otherwise you don't move up your pay scale.

I'm sure they do have to sign off on it but it is virtually unheard off that someone would not get their increment....again, madness.

No they do not.

If you have proof of public servants who have been denied their annual increment, I'd be delighted to see it.

Not all public service jobs have annual increments. As a teacher I have received one increment in the past 3 years and my next one is due in 4 years time. I am on a 25 year pay scale which has several pauses in increments as you progress up the scale.

When I worked in local authorities annual increments were only granted following a written process of approval by a line manager. When I moved to the HSE I found that increments are automatic! Slim

I think anyone getting a raise at alll is doing very well, I myself have taken a 33% reduction and because we've let so many staff go am doing the work of two(trying to anyway) all with the new mantra of lucky to have a job ringing in my ears, its an employers market the state should be no different

I think anyone getting a raise at alll is doing very well, I myself have taken a 33% reduction and because we've let so many staff go am doing the work of two(trying to anyway) all with the new mantra of lucky to have a job ringing in my ears, its an employers market the state should be no different

Just to clarify something, I too have taken significant cuts to my salary. This is a new post with new principal responsibilities. I don't think I should feel lucky in any respect. Whilst I appreciate it is an employers market at the moment, we are not here to be taken advantage of and nor should we accept 'the current economic climate' as a credible reason for unsatisfactory working conditions or pay.

Cheers for that :)

Would you (or anyone else :) ) know if there is a similar circular that applies to the Civil Service?
THat version of 10/71 talks about the Dept of Health.

When I worked in local authorities annual increments were only granted following a written process of approval by a line manager. When I moved to the HSE I found that increments are automatic! Slim

This wasn't my experience of the HSE - a written approval was required from my line manager each time an increment was due.

Cheers for that :)

Would you (or anyone else :) ) know if there is a similar circular that applies to the Civil Service?
THat version of 10/71 talks about the Dept of Health.

djh, I think the circular you're looking for is 34/77 which deals with pay, promotion, etc in the Civil Service.

No they do not.

I work in the Civil Service and know of people who have not got their increment because of poor performance. What exact 'proof' do you require. Would you like me to send you their names and a copy of their payslips????

Back