public service career break

mrsogara

I'm currently on maternity leave taking unpaid leave for 16 weeks and due to return in April, If I want to take a career break what are my entitlements and how soon do i need to inform my employer/ Can my husband take my tax credits and can I claim for my paid stamps?

If by entitlements you mean social welfare payments, I don't think you have any.

Might depend on your husband's income, but I would be pretty surprised if you would become entitled to FIS etc if you voluntarily gave up your income.

Your husband would get some of your tax credits, you might be able to claim home carers allowance tax credit, but there are alot of exclusions.

I took a career break when my kids were little and I don't regret it.
My husband took a "career break" after that and its has worked out great for the kids and for husband and for me being back at work in a full on way.

Shortly we are facing into both of us working full time again.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldn't be eligible for Jobseekers benefit since you won't be looking for a job. There is no such requirement for FIS though, so I don't see why you wouldn't qualify.

Your husband could indeed use your tax credits and he could claim homecarers unless your income is over 5,080 for the year in which case he could get a reduced rate.

I'm not sure how much notice your employer needs - you may also consider taking unpaid additional mat leave and/or parental leave. Best to call your HR section and check with them.

Thanks really considering it, they won't be small for long and we can try to adjust financially. did you do anything else during the day, I'm thinking of maybe minding some other kids here as i have lots of room it would be company for the kids and i would be doing something too.

Back