Public Sector Car Insurance schemes

PoundMan

Good afternoon, folks. I'm seeking opinions on public-sector car insurance schemes from Cornmarket, Marsh, Glennon, LFS, Arachas, etc.
Are these genuinely of good value, or would a public sector worker still get better deals elsewhere? Perhaps I should download their PIDs and shop for a cheaper like-for-like option?

My renewal is due at the end of the month. I had hoped Revolut would deliver on its promise of 30% lower premiums, but that hasn't proven to be true in my case. I wish Ireland had a more robust selection of reputable and legitimately independent price comparison websites like the UK's (Moneysupermarket, compare the market, gocompare, confused.com, etc.). Still, sadly, it seems pretty limited beyond Bonkers and Chill. I know there are a lot of car insurance brokers out there, but again, it is a bit of a minefield trying to determine which ones are truly independent and offer a 'whole-of-market' service. I spent all day yesterday filling out online quotation forms across various websites and fielding follow-up phone calls. I wish there were a more time-efficient way of doing things to get a better deal.

Speaking for myself, I never went with one of the public service offerings as when I shopped around annually they were never the most competitive.

Regarding the issue of shopping around being time consuming, I agree. I always start my quote seeking about a month out and do 1 or 2 a day. Less hassle that way, for me anyway .

As Zobeda says, I never found those PS schemes competitive. I shop around using Chill and direct to some others. Doesn't take too long but filling in the same info each time is a pain.

I've used Cornmarket for my car insurance for many years. The price is competitive. But the main reason I like being with them is that I use my car for work and I have all the cover I need. For example, we have a student with us at the moment and I know I can bring her in my car. Whereas some of my colleagues aren't sure......

This is quite handy for trying to compare like-for-like:

https://cornmarket.cdn.prismic.io/c...ublic_Sector_Motor_Benefit_sheet_11-22_D2.pdf

https://cornmarket.cdn.prismic.io/c...7_Nurses_Motor_Benefit_sheet_09-22_D3+(1).pdf

https://cornmarket.cdn.prismic.io/c...472_Teachers_Motor_Benefit_sheet_09-22_D8.pdf

I have been told that finding the same value as the group schemes privately regarding income protection is challenging, so I wondered if the same applies to car insurance. I can get cheaper quotes through comparison websites, but it can be challenging to gauge if it is a valid like-for-like comparison due to all the extras that come with the group schemes.

I haven't bothered with PS schemes either. I got quotes a good few years ago which were much higher. I've never found chill or bonkers any good but colleagues at work have.

I do about 2 or 3 companies a night for a week, keep a note of the quotes. I simply ignore the calls. I got €350 this year which I was happy with. I'm 53, 20 plus claim free.

I ended up going with Aviva through First Ireland broker which came in at €360 (€110 below my renewal premium) so I was happy enough with that. I just cant understand why the likes of Cornmarket, Glennons, Marsh, etc. advertise group scheme discounts and offers for Public Sector and Trade Union workers yet their quotes are still so uncompetitive. As far as I can see, the only product where they seem to genuinely offer value is the income protection.

I think going direct to the Insurance Company is best. Anybody in between them and you is looking for moolah from you.

Back