Pub Margin

Paddy199

Does anyone know what the pub margin for a rural pub is?

I am calculating a margin of 52% but have nothing to compare it against.

Appreciate any help on this.

I would expect around that for a rural pub. It certainly would not want to be any much less than that.

Graham is being kind I think. 52% is very low even for a rural pub. Obviously the GP depends upon the mix of drinks being sold and whether it is a 'pints' type of pub or is there a lot of shorts, bottles, wine being sold. IMO it should be showing closer to 58%. If you have concerns you should do a procedure whereby you check what stock is being sold. You list what stock you have at the beginning of say a two week period. You add the stock purchased - item by item and you deduct what stock you sell item by item. You then compare this to the stock held at the end of the period. If there are differences you need to investigate why. This is also done by professional stock taking firms. On occassion we have done it. On one occassion I could tell the publican which staff member was taking the drink. On an other occassion a specific drink (Martini) was going missing. The publican checked at the weekend and discovered that one of his sons was giving out free drink to a friend. Golden rule is that all pubs will have theft, free drink given out, stock being stolen from shelves, stock rooms being left open, etc..

It's a pints pub - actually 78% Draugh, 7% Bottles, 10% spirits and 5% other.

I've checked with another accountant and his 3 rural pubs are all around the 52% margin.

Do a weighted avg with that data and the approx gp of each line. You'll get a reasonable idea from that. Obviously the items Simplyjoe mentioned would also impact on gp but in event of Revenue audit you'd have done what they would be likely do and have explanations for any difference.
We have one rural client who started doing 3 pints dft stout for €10. Things like that would impact on the gp also so you need to get details.

Back