PRSI class S and job seekers benefit

milly123

Hi,
I hope someone has the answer.
I pay tax on my regular wages at class A for 51 weeks each year. I pay tax on directors fess at class S for 1 week each year. I had an inspection by social welfare when I first started the company and they have approved this setup. Would I still be eligible for job seekers benefit and / or allowance ?

Thanks in advance.

Milly

PRSI Class S does not cover Jobseeker's Benefit. Unless you have the required number of Class A contributions for the relevant prior years/periods (see www.welfare.ie for details of the PRSI contribution requirements for JB) then you would have to try for means tested JA.

To qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit (based on PRSI contributions) you must have 52 paid PRSI contributions since starting work
and
39 paid or credited PRSI contributions in the relevant tax year (for 2008, the relevant tax year is 2006, in 2009 it'll be 2007).

If you don't have 39 paid or credited in the relevant tax year, you may quailfy if you have 26 paid in the relevant tax year and 26 paid in the year before that.

Only PRSI contributions at class A, H and P count.

If you've been paying 51 A contributions for the past few years, then you should qualify.

Jobseeker's Allowance is means-tested, for persons who don't qualify for JB. Entitlement to that depends on your circumstances (savings, household income, etc).

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your replies. It looks like I will be ok if it comes to it. thats a relief. thanks again

Back