provisional license insurance enquiry

elizabeth

My daughter had not passed her test yet but is insured in my car. If she drives without a full license holder with her in the car, is the insurance invalidated?

Its not a provisional license. There is no such thing. Its a learners permit. Its a permit to be in the drivers seat of a car, when being taught to drive. Pedantic I know, but its not a license to drive a car.

Having said that, you will have to check the details of your insurance policy. I assume that the insurance company know that she only has a learners permit. The T&Cs should make clear whether she is covered if she breaks the law and drives on her own.

Check with your insurance company. I asked our broker the same question recently (in relation to our son who is planning to start driving shortly). The broker's answer is that it is the law of the land that people driving with learner's permits are required to have a fully qualified driver of at least 2 years experience with them at all times.

Learner drivers must be accompanied, that said if her name is listed on the insurance policy and you have recorded that she is a learner then an argument can be had with the Garda BUT if a claim ensues you can bet it invalidates your cover, it is the law after all although many learners do it to get to College etc in many cases removing the L sign !

Back