Proposal to stop the gardaí drinking alcohol

Z

z107

It seems that the French are planning to ban their riot police from drinking alcohol:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13168354

Would it not be a good idea to prevent the gardaí from drinking? There could be random breath tests, and any guard found to have consumed alcohol should be sacked.

They're talking about on duty:

"Officials were angered in 2010 when photos emerged of riot police drinking beer while policing a demonstration."

Would it not be a good idea to prevent the gardaí from drinking? There could be random breath tests, and any guard found to have consumed alcohol should be sacked.

No it wouldn't. Such a measure would be a serious curtailment of civil liberties. Why should anyone be able to dictate that the Guards can't enjoy a few drinks on their own time?

If you're referring to while there on duty, do you have any evidence to suggest that this is an issue in Ireland? I for one have never seen any evidence of a member of An Garda Síochána drinking while on duty. Trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist would be a waste of time, money and effort. Nonsensical.

I wouldn't think gardai drinking on duty is an issue at all and it's not something that needs to be solved
And the only example I can think of were those two gardai in Dublin who abandoned their post outside the US embassy. Both were sacked
http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-sacked-after-drunken-embassy-brawl-287170.html

Drinking during work is fairly normal on the continent in my experience. In Germany some drink beer during their morning break.
I worked in a Dutch company with a fridge full of beer and we'd have a few bottles at our desk and working away.

The French riot police might want a drink before wading into action, steady the nerves

There was great story about the Bank Auditor some years ago who arrived at a country branch & having carried out his audit of the Branch operations completed his audit by checking that the branch alarm system was in working order.

The alarm was sounded for some seconds followed swiftly thereafter by a knocking on the front door - standing outside was a bar man from the local pub with a pint & a chaser for the manager !

Let the cops get as merry as they like; might put some of em in better humour!

Why?

What they do in their own time is their own business.

That's the problem... they don't do it in their own time.

Have you ever been behind the scenes in a French police station? They have their own police branded wine and it is common to see a few drunk police officers.

Match them better to stay off the phone while driving!!

I think we need to look into the drinking habits of our bus, taxi and truck drivers instead. I've heard some horror stories and I was witness (or victim) to one!!!

Oh here we go....Lets have a go at the psv/truck driver with more urban legends!!!

Back