problems with a log burner...

D

delly74

hi all,
i bought a stove about 6 weeks ago and had it fitted by a qualified plumber. 14kw to heat 9 rads. it isn't heating water and rads are only luke warm at their best (after having the stove on all day). i got the plumber back as i thought the pump was too fast but he said it was at its slowest speed. he thought it was a problem with stove. we are also getting smoke filling the room when the door is opened, blackened glass. we have also had the stove fitter recomended by the company we bought it from, who sealed it all in. on contacting the company i got a lecture from the owner on the type of fuel i was burning (polish coal) said i was breaking the law really rude and claimed it was my fault not the stoves....... since changed to eco fuel its still the same if not worse..... over the last few days i have noticed water collecting under the ashpan and now today as the fire was lighting water started driping out of the front door...... im at my wits end just feel like taking it out and putting back in open fire..... but due to money constraints not in the position to due that either... it's not like these stoves are cheap in any way.thought by installing this we would not have to use the oil as much. how wrong was i.
could really do with your advice..... tks

Hi, Do you have vents on the stove,one under the pan and one over the door?
If so make sure they are fully open when first lit.
It can be difficult to operate the vents correctly as some need vents fully open,some half and half top and bottom and some may require top vent open bottom closed..

tks thedaras,
i have tried it all have two vents at the bottom and one at top think top one is airwash usually have vents open to start with and then close half way when fire is hot... but it has made no difference. really fed up with it now at my wits end....

plumber

a solid fuel stove will if correctly installed heat hot water(your cylinder)without the aid of a pump.the pump would normally be installed on the rads circuit controlled by a pipe stat located on the top pipe leaveing the stove(flow pipe).this pump controls the heating end.
i would really doubt if there is a fault with the stove.a good % of solid fuel stoves are not installed properly in ireland. :mad:.
if you had a picture to send me i could advise you as best i can.

Sounds very like a chimney problem,was a new flue liner fitter to the existing chimney?

Does the stove have an adequate fresh air supply?

Generally log burning stoves should only burn fuel with a moisture content below 22% but thjs isnt always the case.

Their are a few more possible causes but hope this helps

With the recent sad news stories re: possible CO poisioning, be extra careful around solid fuel stoves and their installation/use.

Get at least 1 x CO alarm.

update on the stove. my other half went to the showroom that we bought it from. he showed them picture or smoke coming out of the stoves(with doors Closed) and leak coming from under the door. the owner was very nice and said he would send somebody out. true to his word somebody called last night he said it was fitted wrong.... the hot water pipe was at a 90 degree angle downwards...... the pressure built up in the stove and cracked the tank... we were told we were lucky the stove did not explode... the problem now arises is the garantee does not cover the stove as it was a plumbing issue. contacted the plumber he was quite shocked(he did not do the job himself he sent an employee). he said will contact me tomorrow... watch this space. the stove will need to be uninstalled dismantled fixed and put back together... thought at this stage we would be toasty but we just have to start again.... tks for all the comments and advice i will keep up updated

That was a close one. Unbelieveable really. That "employee" should be an ex employee.

final update on stove the plumber said he will pay for the damage still waiting on money. stove was finally finished being installed yesterday wow the difference when somebody knows what they are doin very nice fella. rads are roasting hot and the stove burning away and no smoke filled room. yea so happy..... tks all for the comments
happy new year!!!!!

Back