Problems Hanging Curtain Rail

Jools600

HI there
I have got myself into a little bit of a problem and I hope some of you kind guys or gals out there could help me.
I moved into a new house about 6 weeks ago and am putting some curtain rails up in the spare bedrooms.
All the inner walls that are next to the solid walls around the house are plasterboard like a double layer.
I have successfully put up one curtain rail on the plasterboard but one in the spare room is causing me major grief in that the wall plugs will not grip into the hole that I drill.
I have used the wall plugs meant for plasterboard (screw type and the plastic ones) and have now created a bit of a hole in the wall which I can obviously repair with some polyfilla. But I'm running out of space where I can put the supports for the curtain rail.
I would be grateful if anyone as some advice on how I can sort this out.
Thanks
jools

i used 100mm by 6mm hammer in fittings to reach the solid wall behind the plasterboard.

Alternatively, what you can use which is what I used for the really heavy curtains down stairs....i used....can't remember their names...I think compression fittings.....basically a hollow metal tube it looks like.
I got ones that were 8mm and 150mm long. so i drilled for them, they easily reached the solid wall in behind. Before I hammed them in, I gave it a few belts of a hammer in say 2 places to tighten the tube slightly. I then basically used this metal tube as a receiver for the 6mm 100mm fitting. The rawlplug element of that fits in very snugly to the tube, then when you screw in the tube to it, it makes a rock solid fitting and can take a hell of a lot of weight.

For light rails though you should have been able to use those spikey metal anchors. You hammer the tip into the plaster board, screw in the fitting and then screw a screw into it so its the plasterboard taking the weight...i'm guessing that they are the ones then went wrong???

Thanks for the reply Legend. I presume I can get these bit and pieces in the DIY Super Stores ?

Thanks

jools

Jools600 said:
Thanks for the reply Legend. I presume I can get these bit and pieces in the DIY Super Stores ?

Thanks

jools

i went to builder providers...where are you located? I had to go to Dublin Builder providers in Cork to get the 100mm by 6mm fittings. I had to go to Cork Builder Providers in Cork to get the 150mm by 8mm compression fittings...

All the above is very sound advice but if your curtains aren't too heavy you should be able to get by with "Rayfix" hammer in cavity fixings. I came across them earlier this year and find them great, the manufacturer claims each fitting will support up to 60kg- that's one heavy curtain. They only cost a few cents each and are better than any of those plastic screw in fittings.

Back