Problem with solicitor

mike456

Hi All,

Situation is a follows I purchaed a apt. with my Gilfriend in Dec 03. It was new. We since split up an I purchaed the apt. of her in July 05. I paid the same solicitor twice to convey property both times.

I have not recieved approval from PTSB to top up the mortgage to build a house. Construction is ongoing.

When PTSB wrote to solicitor to request deeds to be sent back to them he did not recieve this so the request was resent. All they need is a dealing number from land registery.

He rang me last week and said they was a query on the deeds but this is nothing for me to worry about. I then decided to do a search and I have now found out that the first deed was lodged in June 2004 and the query on this has not been answered.

This is very frustating as I owe builder providers etc monies on the house in mayo and this solicitor seems to be doing nothing about it?

What course of action could I take?

Why don't you ring the land registry and find out the dealing number yourself?

Otherwise, approach your solicitor again and make him aware of the urgency of the situation.

If all else fails and he is not playing ball at all, threaten to report him to the law society. He should pull his finger out then.

www.lawsociety.ie

Why don't you ring the land registry and find out the dealing number yourself?

Otherwise, approach your solicitor again and make him aware of the urgency of the situation.

If all else fails and he is not playing ball at all, threaten to report him to the law society. He should pull his finger out then.

www.lawsociety.ie
. . . or you could try an approach that does not get the solicitor's back up, like asking what is causing the delay. At the end of the day, you are better off staying on the right side of your solicitor, IMO. If you don't, and they eventually provide the service, you still have to pay his / her fee. Try getting another solicitor to act for you if you leave the bill unpaid!

. . . or you could try an approach that does not get the solicitor's back up, like asking what is causing the delay. At the end of the day, you are better off staying on the right side of your solicitor, IMO. If you don't, and they eventually provide the service, you still have to pay his / her fee. Try getting another solicitor to act for you if you leave the bill unpaid!

he said if all else fails to contact the law society. i would have had the same opiniopn as you once but now i wish i'd been much more direct when dealing with soliucitors in the past.

he said if all else fails to contact the law society. i would have had the same opiniopn as you once but now i wish i'd been much more direct when dealing with soliucitors in the past.
Yes I think you are right to make them aware that you are no pushover, but it is really difficult to get the balance right. If you reach the stage where you have to make a complaint to the Law Society, it is important to remember they are all lawyers, and they will probably be glad to find an excuse to find against your complaint. I think it best to come with clean hands when making that complaint. If you appear to have acted reasonably, they have to deal with the substantive issue.

Is it that the query has not been answered, or is it that the answer has just not been reached yet by the Land Registry?

Back