Problem with Ford Focus

Teknon

I bought my 2nd Ford Focus in 2007 (1 yr old 2nd hand) as I had been happy with the older focus I had.

About 18mths ago when the car was still under the manufacturers warranty I started to have problems. When I'd start the car and try and take off in first a red light would come on in the display on the dash and I would get a message "Engine Systems Fault" and then it would go into "Limited Speed Mode". It happened a few times so I brought it to my local Ford dealer twice but each time they said that no faults were coming up and each time they recalibrated the computer.

Proplem is last week the same issue has returned only this time the engine light came on. So I went straight to another Ford garage (didn't want to bring it to the old one because they were unable to find a fault). The car has been in the garage since last Thursday and they are still not sure what is wrong with it.

I contacted Ford this morning to see if they would cover the costs seeing has I had reported the fault twice before while under warranty and the garage didn't fix it. They say usually they would do a 'goodwill cover' 12mths after the warranty expired but seeing as my problem has returned 18mths after the problem first occured they are unsure.

Also the garage didn't give me a courtesy car and said I'd have to rent one which I have done but at great expense (need car as I live in country side). Does anyone know if I can claim this expense from my own car insurance?

Has anyone had any similar ezperiences with Ford and would I have a case against them if they refuse to pay for the repairs?

Thanks

T

What to Watch Out For

Starting and running problems and the car reverting to limp home mode can be due to the Power Control Module cluster gateway not closing properly and draining the battery overnight. May need to be reloaded with manufacturer data to overcome a sofware error.

Mysterious 'Engine System Faults' on diesel leading them to lose power and revert to limp home mode may be caused by an intercooler pipe weld fault leading to a crack in the pipe. On 1.6TDCI the thin steel turbo to intercooler pipe can split. It cracks in two places in opposite directions emanating from the "start" and "stop" of the upper bracket weld. Fractures are of a fatigue nature resulting from vibration ,the bracket being rigidly attached to the engine.

Problem of 1.6 and 2.0 16v diesels slipping into limp home mode put down to throttle butterflies sticking or their spindles wearing prematurely causing them to stick. The throttle position sensor identifies this and sends a message to the ECU to limit the engine to limp home mode.

[broken link removed]

I think you would have a case if the above information is correct. Surely Ford know about this issue and the garage should have known what was the probable cause. Although (after an admittedly very quick google) i couldn't find a recall for the issue.

Thanks for the reply Woodbine. I had mentioned that issue to the garage but the guy said it wasn't a fault with the 1.4L! They've checked all the sensors in the car and the fault hasn't happened in 2 days. They still have the car and are going to give it one final check tomorrow and then I can collect it. I don't think they know what was causing it to go into limited speed mode. On a good note about Ford they also contacted me and said they would sort the costs. Sooooooo fingers crossed it's fixed and gone for good!

Hi
Are you in dublin? check out blachchurch ford. This guy i good. He has a web site you can check out. He will sort our car out for you. I have used him twice in the past

Have a ford focus 2006 1.4
had a problem as water was getting into the place where the plugs are and causing loss of power and the engine light coming on. Was told that this is a fault and got my local mechanic to make a cover for the area where the water was getting in.

might help!

Back