Problem with earwigs in house that's 1 year old

Chris2006

Hi,
This summer we seem to be having a problem with finding a number earwigs in the house on a daily bases. Does anyone know why we are having such a problem or how do we get rid of such insects from inside the house?
These insects make my skin crawl so any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Problem with earwigs in house that 1 year old

Can you pinpoint how they are getting in? Are they getting in of their own accord or being brouht in with flowers etc.? Are there any flowers (especially the likes of roses or hydrangeas near the house? If it's any consolation to you they won't do you or the house any harm as far as I know. Mind you crunching into an earwig that had hitched a ride from the kitchen to the dining room on my croissant is something I'd prefer not to do again in a rush! :)

Anything useful on . Don't like earwigs - think they sting or bite :(

From Wikipedia:
There is no evidence that they transmit disease or otherwise harm humans or other animals, despite their nickname pincher bug.
I have never been bitten/pinched by an earwig and have handled them many times.

This snippet might also be of use:

Pest control

Don't they crawl in your ear and eat your brain ?

Apart from that they're harmless. :D

I really don't think i can face a croissant again clubman :(

whats worse than finding an earwig in your croissant -- - - - half an earwig - ba boom !!! :D

I have the same trouble with beetles comign into the house - i think i found how they were coming in - the 2 rear doors of the house had rear drainage holes on them and there was supposed to be litle caps over them but they were missing-covered them last week and no beetles since.

whats worse than finding an earwig in your croissant -- - - - half an earwig - ba boom !!! :D
It wasn't in it - it was on it. And they are surprisingly resilient. I bit into it and it stayed intact although it didn't actually survive! :D

Don't they crawl in your ear and eat your brain ?
Yes. They are a close relative of the ceti eel

[broken link removed]

I keep bringing the odd earwig into the house when dead-heading flowers out the front and throwing the stuff in a kitchen receptacle which is destined for the compst bin. Another one was there to greet me this morning but I managed to keep him off my toast this time! :)

cold shiver, shudder, yuck!!! :(

Ah - they're harmless and our c. 2 year old gets a great kick out of all sorts of creepy crawlies. :)

Don't know how useful this info is for an indoors infestation but an organic grower mate of mine fills a bucket with straw, places the inverted bucket on a pole and leaves it for 24 hours. Acts as a great trap apparently. He takes the bucket out and sets the straw on fire.

Don't ask what he does about rats, it won't make you happy.

earwigs are too like ragworms, i have bad memories of trying to put a ragworm on a hook when the pinchers appeared - earwigs bad 2 years old cool!

earwigs are too like ragworms, i have bad memories of trying to put a ragworm on a hook when the pinchers appeared
I don't think that earwigs actually pinch humans with their pincers. At least it has never happened to me.
earwigs bad 2 years old cool!
Eh? :confused:

i don't think ragworm pinch either but when your small and you see their pinchers when your on a boat fishing its pretty scary. Above was meant to read 2 year olds are cool. Enough of me and earwigs!!
OP there is a power you can get that kills such insects can't think of the name but its in a black/white/red container (like shake n vac) and if you sprinkle it where you think they are getting in that should get rid of them!

oh clubman i'm having a bad day! :( Powder! Powder! I'm now banning myself for posting for the rest of the day! :)

Back