Problem getting my invoice paid

bagpuss

HI
I worked for over a year for a company. I invoiced them every month and was paid within 5 days of the following month.
I finished with them in February and submitted my final invoice. I was paid 50% of the invoice and when I queried it was told it was standard procedure to only pay 50% until they were happy with the work I had done.
This was the first time this 50% was mentioned to me but wasn't a whole lot I could do about it.
I have emailed them several times since requesting payment and have had no response. My last email last week asked them to pay the account by 7th of July, 2014.
The payment has not come in and I now want to send a registered letter to the directors requesting payment.
Their website gives their registered address. However, I know this is wrong as they are no longer there.
I know who their auditors are so would it be ok to send the letter to their auditors?

It is less than €500 but is a lot of money to me and I really need to get it paid.
What other steps can I take to try and get paid.

for the address try the site below, can't post urls yet though as don't have 15 posts

_ttp://ww.solocheck.ie...

_ttp://ww.cro.ie/search/CompanySearch.aspx....

Thanks roscaf.
I have got a copy of their accounts from the CRO. Can I write to them at their home addresses?

Rainyday, no didn't get a contract. It was a maternity cover and the lady went on leave earlier than planned so didn't get a contract before I started. As they were paying me within a couple of days of my submitting my invoice I didn't follow up on it.

It sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one.

By paying you as a contractor and not an employee, it could well be that they have actually exposed themselves badly. If there is no good reason why you are a contractor, Revenue might well decide tell them that you are actually an employee, and leave them with a significant tax bill, plus an audit of their employment practices.

If you need some leverage for negotiating with them to get what they owe you, you might mention your plan to have a little chat with Revenue. But be careful about burning bridges - Ireland is a small country.

Thanks Rainyday but don't think I will go down that road!!

Can I issue my letter to them care off their auditors office?

Your debt is due by the company - not the directors and not the auditors.

Write to the company at their registered office address and c.c. it to their physical place of business.

If they don't pay it, you may have to (a) take legal action or (b) write it off.

mf

The are not at their registered address. I know this from working with them for 1 year.
They do not have a physical place of business.

Can I issue my letter to them care off their auditors office?
I don't see how that would help. You probably need to make it less hassle for them to pay you off. You need to pester them, phone them, meet with them, mail them, embarrass them etc.

Given the size of the debt its not even worth asking a solicitor to draft a letter which might cost you €200. I would write it off and move on with your life. It sounds like these guys are the definition of true fly by night operators. When dealing with people like this it is imperative to build it into your rates for when they inevitably try to stiff you.

Back